Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I thought I would say hello as I am new here.
I have been training for a half marathon for the past month and I am hoping to do the Gosport Half Marathon in November!

I also train on my bike because a friend and I are planning to do a European Bike Ride next Spring. We are planning to do about 100km a day.

Well, that's about all I can say so far...
Have a good run!
Jen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi!

Thanks for asking - yes, it's going quite well. I have covered the distance three times already and don't have a problem with it.

I would like to become faster though - currently it takes us around 2h 15min for 21km. Any suggestions on improving on this? The race will be beginning of November - so plenty of time!

Jen.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well if the distance is no problem why not try doing some 10m runs at pace. Start slow for first mile and then gradually pick up pace over the next 8m so that you end up running mile 8-9 at around your 10k pace and then do a slow final mile to cool down.

Try a fartlek session and a steady 7-8 mile run midweek too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
just wanted to say hi and welcome Jen..I am also new and training for 1/2m in 5 weeks but no where near your level yet...good luck

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jen!

As you are cycling as well, it might be worthwhile trying some brick sessions, as used by triathletes. I've tried this myself if the gym and found it helped my leg strength and speed.

One of the other runners in my club cycles to and from his long run at the weekend and finds it helps his endurance too.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jen, I'm sure a half shouldn't too much of a problem for you if you are willing to do 100k a day on a push bike!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts