Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed the veteran section which must be for me because I turned sixty back in February. I'm sure age is a state of mind - which makes me about 25! Last week we were at a huge water park in Spain coming down the Kamikazee slide at about a hundred miles an hour, (Age about six!) I've just got back into running, having spent last winter writing. Went for five miles today and did it in 58 minutes - and wasn't too knackered. I was pleased with that. Tomorrow I go up in the back of my hubby's microlight and take photos - now that has taken guts, but I'm over the fear and can now let go my death grip on the back of his seat, and work the camera. Life has to be lived, it's too darn short!
:d

·
Registered
516 Posts
I was checking the results of a race I ran at the weekend and I was very impressed with the amount of over 60's who finished with great times - much better than mine!!

They have the utmost respect from me, as do you! I hope I am running when I am 60 :)

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
As you'll have noticed Jude, there isn't a lot of activity in the VETERANS section of this forum, only about ten threads altogether. I wish there were more because it's hard for us to get on the same wavelength as the majority of young posters here. Since I joined only a handful of my contemporaries have appeared, posted once or twice, then disappeared into oblivion possibly thinking it was not for them. It's understandable, I suppose, because there aren't many 76 year old runners about nowadays - and we're hardly compatible with the younger generation! Anyhow, being something of a tenacious Yorkshire Terrier type, I've hung on.
I envy you your microlight flights with your husband, as I envy those brave people who paraglide across the face of the Eiger when we're camped at Grindelwald. I've only recently discovered Switzerland but when I see those people floating and spiraling around the high peaks under their rainbow canopies against a blue sky I'm green with envy! Sometimes, but very rarely, I wish I had my time to come over again. I'd be up there with them.
Activity wise, all I'm any good at now is running and I'll keep on doing it for as long as I can, just getting out into the wilds and enjoying it. I THINK I've finished racing. Last year I had the distinction of being the fastest person of my age in Britain over four distances from 800m to ten miles - and regard that as a very good note to finish on!
Anyhow Jude, welcome to the forum. We must try to hold on to other super veterans as they come along and give them a big welcome. We can sit in our own little corner to talk about sensible things and ignore most of these young 'uns with their irrelevant chat and games and interminable problems. Why can't they 'Just do it'? (just kidding forumites, honest).
Cheers!
PS. Good luck with your book.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Runningfox and all Vets:

Please post away. I for one always respect experience and the best way of teaching us yoofs is by example.

With Respect

Giles

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You must be jolly proud to have those fastest four distances in Britain, and you must be extremely fit and young for your age. It's a great achievement! It makes me determined to continue, and improve. It is a shame there aren't more Veterans on the forum to discuss veteran type things - on those other wavelengths.
I don't do any other fitness, but I do ride a big motorbike - hubby has one as well. I need to stay fit to climb on and whizz around all our amazing countryside in the Dordogne.
Happy running!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
You must be extremely fit and young for your age. I don't do any other fitness, but I do ride a big motorbike - hubby has one as well. I need to stay fit to climb on and whizz around all our amazing countryside in the Dordogne. Happy running!
It's running and staying active that keeps us 'young for our age'. All retired folk should have a regular 'activity' of some sort, regardless of whether it's running, dancing, swimming, cycling, or whatever, to keep the grim reaper away for a bit longer. All too many decide it's time to put their feet up and problems arise when the heart's allowed to become sluggish.
My only other activity is walking but, particularly around home, I find it boring since I took up running. Nowadays I never dream of walking out the door to 'just go for a walk'. Maybe I should get another dog. That would force me out!
However, in Scotland or the Alps it's a different matter and in another month we're looking forward to being in Switzerland again. In such incredible scenery, getting high, walking on glaciers and doing the odd bit of scrambling can really get the adrenalin flowing and make such holidays a very rewarding experience!
Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts