Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new runner having started with a 2 mile jog/walk on the treadmill last Friday.

I have virtually no history of running and have always been put off after finishing last in a cross country at school but feel the need to start and just do what I can.

I bought myself some running shoes yesterday and found out that I have over-procrastinating feet ;) - and they could tell that just by looking at them!

I measured out 2 miles through the local park yesterday as my son (11) is doing the junior GNR this year and is unfit. We jog/walked it in 30 minutes. I jog/walked it myself today in 19m 09s, which is better than I expected and gives me hope.

I plan to run a half marathon in about a year, probably the Great Cumbria Run rather than the GNR because it is less crowded, and a 10 k in February to check my progress. I'll start looking for 5k's when I feel I am able to run the distance.

I'm just happy to have started.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome Thumbs

Seems to me that your doing everything the right way.(although I`m no expert.)

You`ve got your shoes sorted the right way.

Run\walk is a great way to start. Already down to 9.35 minute miles.

Keep us informed of your progress.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't worry, I'll bore you with every detail, Dave.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Welcome to the forum Fingers ;) :d

Made me laugh with procrastinating feet, think you mean pronating, "Procrastination is the thief of time"

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mrs. Thumbs has already corrected me about my overprocrastinating feet then on second thoughts agreed that i was right after all. She's known me a long time.

I ran/walk/jogged the same route today in 18m 44s - a PB! I managed to run a little bit further before walking/jogging which is heartening.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was only my second ever run over that distance, Granty :d

I figure that as long as I run a little further before I start to walk/jog then I'll keep on getting PB's! The crunch will come when I'm running the full distance and then I'll have to work on my speed, at which point I expect I'll increase the distance to 3 miles and start the process again :d .

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Welcome from a fellow newbie :d

Mucho MUCHO congrats on starting up running - I've been running a bit longer (2 years in December - has it been that long already?!), and i've lost almost 3 stone since starting and feel so much happier with myself and life in general - I hope running can bring you a similar joy, whatever your goals are! Very happy to hear your getting your son involved too :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My son appears to be a reluctant runner and you've got to catch him at the right time which is immediately when he gets in from school. My next chance, because of shifts, is Thursday.

I managed to do the 2 miles in 18m 00s (approx because Mrs. Thumbs was late with her stopwatch) due mainly to my being able to run a mile and a half before I resorted to walking. I'm seriously thinking of measuring a 3 mile run soon.

This was another PB by the way!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Thumbs said:
My son appears to be a reluctant runner and you've got to catch him at the right time which is immediately when he gets in from school. My next chance, because of shifts, is Thursday.

I managed to do the 2 miles in 18m 00s (approx because Mrs. Thumbs was late with her stopwatch) due mainly to my being able to run a mile and a half before I resorted to walking. I'm seriously thinking of measuring a 3 mile run soon.

This was another PB by the way!

Great news thumbs about your PB's at least your feet aren't procrastinating :d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Great progress thumbs :d and again, well done on getting your son out, I have a 13 year old sister who just sits at her computer on msn virtually every second she's awake, and as hard as I try I can't seem to get her doing anything physical more than once in a blue moon! She seemed to have quite a talent for swimming and used to have lessons, but now she's at that age where she doesn't care about anything and we (the family) are lucky to get a grunt from her, let alone a proper conversation! lol!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
twinkle toes said:
Great news thumbs about your PB's at least your feet aren't procrastinating :d
It has come as a great surprise to me that they aren't!

I sort of ran 3 miles today; the fact that it took me 37m 35s suggests that there was a fair amount of walking going on despite having ran the first mile and a half (approx).

As regards my son on Thursday, I'm just crossing my fingers. The truly weird thing about him running the junior GNR is that he's never shown any interest in running before, but then again neither had I until a week and a half ago.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I managed to run my 2 miles through the park without any walking today, which is a first. It took me 16m 53s which I'm quite pleased with. I've hit my initial mileage target for the week (7 miles) and don't know whether I should rest or do another run; I'll probably go out on my bike.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
well doen Thumbs, 2 miles in 16:53 is very good indeed, just remember to include rest as part of the training as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did a 3 mile "run" earlier in the week which took me 37:35. i did it again today and hardly walked at all and it took 36:03 so I checked it on the map again and I'd measured it completely wrong! I'd missed a chunk off and it now measures 6.3km - nearly 4 miles!! I'm much happier now.

I know I should be resting but I'm not going to get a chance to run over the next few days (actually I think I may have an addictive personality).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts