Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is fergus, i was persuaded to run a 1/2 marathon about 6 months ago which i did but did not take it very seriously. I did the run in 2.18.30, pretty poor time i know.

Since then i have started to take things more seriously - no more cigarettes, cut right back on the booze + junk food.

After a break of a couple of months training is pretty tough, only managing to do 5-6 miles before running out of steam - this may be due to dieting, i don't know. Anyway, looking forward to a marathon in 2008 and lots more runs before then.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Howdy Fergus! I wouldn't say 2:18.30 was a poor HM time, i know plenty of people that'd be very happy with that time :)

Good luck with your goals, and i'm sure you're soon be feeling the benefits of running regularly again!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi Fergus,

How spooky is that !! - my 1st 1/2 was 2:18 as well (I was made up just getting around if I'm honest) - When you hit 5-6 miles, what happens, is there any pain or just a lack of energy? I always make sure I eat pasta etc the day before going for a 'big' 'un and make sure I have an enery drink with me during the run, I also found that the odd jelly baby on the way around made a huge difference. (I am now addicted to the damm things :p )

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi fergus

Welcome to the forum, your HM time is good don't be dissapointed.

Running out of steam could also be setting off too quickly...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Richard, you may be right, i have been very time focused recently and not so worried about distance.
Rgds

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Hi Fergus.

Just slow down a bit and concentrate on the lenght of time your running instead of your pace.

As for energy drinks ,I go for Greene King IPA ,but I think Granty is more of a Cider man and Bagpuss swears by Jack Daniels.

I suggest you try them all to see what one or combination works for you.............:d

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Fergus you could try eating a banana an hour before you run otherwise you could try jelly babies or energey gels - SIS ones are good as you don't need to take them with water.

I think 2:18 is a good time for your first half I did mine in 2:37 and my second in 2:24 I'm hoping to do my third in 2:15 but I'm more of a plodder.

I note you're from Blackburn I'm moving to Chorley in a couple of weeks and I wondered which HM you did?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
fergus1971 said:
Hi Granty, no pain at all just a sudden lack of energy. Can you recommend a good energy drink?
Dave is indeed correct, I sway towards the drink of Apples for post race fluid !! :d - as for on the race day, I neck one of those big bottles of Lucozade before hand and then found the 2 'energy' drinks stations on the way around worked fine for me. - try the jelly baby or similar (they definately give me a klittle boost)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Lucozade and water on course for me too.....then a nice glass or two of Leffe....I save Uncle Jack or Brother Jim 'til the witching hour.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts