Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this on Google.

I'm (nearly) 52. It seems even older when you write down. I've been involved in sport of various kind all my life. I now run all summer and go to the gym in the winter. I'd like to run more but when I get home at night and it's dark and cold and sometimes wet I just don't enjoy it anymore.
My winter gym sessions involve time on the treadmill but also include some heavy strength training pre-Christmas, then stamina and endurance training until spring.

Does anyone else split their activities or are you all dedicated runners?

My name, wounded knee, is (surprise!) because I injured my right knee playing football when I was 19. I have a cartlidge missing and severed cruciate ligaments but have managed to keep very active without too many problems. Sometimes heavy impacts can make my knee sore for a few days but the the only real danger is rapid twisting and turning, which I avoid.

How are your injuries?

Looking forward to your replies,

Martin.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
wounded knee said:
I'm (nearly) 52. I've been involved in sport of various kind all my life. I now run all summer and go to the gym in the winter. Does anyone else split their activities or are you all dedicated runners? How are your injuries? Martin.
Welcome to the Forum Martin. I can sympathise with you, not wanting to run on dark nights after a days work. Being retired I do all my running in daylight hours and mainly off-road. Even in winter I can derive a great deal of pleasure from running the high moors, fells and riverbanks of the Yorkshire Dales. However, if it's blowing a gale, bitterly cold, pouring with rain or snowing, I enjoy going to a nice warm gym to belt out the miles on a running machine. I also stretch and do a little weight training - with low weights and lots of repetitions - to keep the old muscles toned. This definitely helps prevent injuries.
Cheers!

PS. In answer to your other question about shoes I wear Trail shoes nearly all the time for my type of running. Currently I'm alternating between Inov8 Roclites, Inov8 Terrocs and an old pair of New Balance 781's (no longer available). The Roclites are probably the most versatile and feel comfortable on any type of terrain.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for welcome Foxy,

Running the fells sounds great, not many of them about in Northamptonshire!
Which Roclites do you use? The 305 sound about right for me. Have run on the road in them?

Thanks again,

Martin.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
wounded knee said:
Thanks for welcome Foxy, Running the fells sounds great, not many of them about in Northamptonshire! Which Roclites do you use? The 305 sound about right for me. Have run on the road in them? Thanks again, Martin.
Mine are Roclite 315's. I've raced in them over mixed terrain, including a bit of tarmac, and they were fine.
Cheers!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum!

I seem to be the opposite to you guys....I prefer to run in the winter when its a bit wet and dark. Its always quiet then and peaceful.

And thankfully i've been free from injuries so far :). Its always good to see someone who won't be beaten. Keep it up!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Welcome to the forum Woundedknee, like shortman I like running in the dark and don't mind the rain or wind.

TT

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi Woundedknee,

I have to admit to actually prefering running in the winter months than the summer (more to do with heat I think) - I generally run with a friend which makes it a lot easier to actually get out through the door on those occasions when I fell like I can't be arsed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts