Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new to running (i did give it ago last year but got no support)

I've got the Zest beginners guide to running and want to follow that plan but i'm concerned about the effects running on roads/pavemnets will have on my joints/bones.

I really want to do this to increase my energy, help my depression and help me shift some weight.

em x

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome aboard!!

Running will help you with your energy levels, mood and weight loss but it is important to take it easy and not do too much too soon....you don't want to get an inury or do so much that you ache and consequently lose enthusiasm.

Road running can impact upon your joints so mix road running with running on tracks/grass/sand/treadmills.

Get a proper pair of running shoes and if you can and when you feel able find a running club to join.

All the best.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hi Mum2many

I'm a newbie to this forum, and to running. I've been doing the Zest beginners plan, now on week 8. I've found it extremely tough some weeks, so don't worry if you need to go a bit more slowly than they suggest - I've stuck at it as I have a deadline, a 5km run that I want to actually run (well, jog gently), but if I hadn't, I'd have taken it a little bit more slowly (an extra week or two running 2 mins before moving up to 3, for example).

I've been doing 2/3 of the training on treadmills, but getting outside for one session a week and I did find that the tarmac took its toll on my shins. I'm lucky in that I live in a very small town (and right on the edge of it), so I quickly switched to running round a field and now on to the (packed mud) canal towpath. The softer surface has definitely been kinder to my legs, so if you have somewhere you can run in the countryside or just a park, then give that a go if you can.

I have a lot more energy than I did - I don't fall asleep on the train to work every morning now (just now and then!). I've lost weight, too, although I've been eating a lot more healthily which has made that happen more quickly (9 pounds since I started running, and I've had a couple of very food-filled weeks!).

The guys here are really helpful, so do ask any questions you have - they've given me some good advice, in response to a dumb question or two :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Welcome to RF

Good for you for getting started, we all had to start somewhere.

TT :d

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
welcome m2m the fact that you've signed up to this forum is a fantastic positive step
we i think are all amatuers on here but we will do everything we can to help you achieve your goal running is a great mood lifter will help tremendously with your weight loss programme just remember you will still need to eat sensibly to fuel the new exercise regime you are about to undertake .

Remember "LIFE MAY NOT BE THE PARTY WE ASKED FOR BUT WHILE WERE HERE WE MIGHT AS WELL DANCE"

tAKE IT EASY

Cheriton

1 - 6 of 6 Posts