Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right im a newbie,

My names Stacka....its a nick name obviously. Dont ask he he. Im 24 from the midlands, erm sounds like blind date.... youd need to be blind to go out on a date with me actually!!!

Im currently training for the Royal Marines selection which i have in October, and i really need to sort out this running lark. I love my motorbikes, and my boxing, and anything else vaguely chalenging

Im sure this has been over done, so many opologies.....but!

Selection has a 3 mile run, 1.5 miles as a troop in a 12min pace, the second is best effort. And i mean best effort i need to be achieving around a 9min 15.

Before this run there is a warm up, and the term warm up is a bit misleading...it should read Marine warm up, becasue by the end of the warm up i was sucking air in from china.

So..............How do i best train for this?

Stacka

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Run.

Seriously goggle training sessions, find one that suits and stick to it. There are plenty of methods that take you from 0 to 5K in five weeks.

You might find it a bit quiet in here at weekends. Most peeps seem to log in during the week instead of working :p

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers,

i do run alot, but i just cant crack speed. I probly run a fair 6 miles 5 days a week.
But im unsure how improve the speed.

Yeah it is a bit quite here, its my rest day from my ragime so im laying on the sofa partaking in my favourite past time.............EATING!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hiya Stacka and welcome :) I'm tryin to build my speed up to, and I'm doing this by doing hill work, just hope it works:d

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dimple said:
Hiya Stacka and welcome :) I'm tryin to build my speed up to, and I'm doing this by doing hill work, just hope it works:d
Are you training for the marines too then?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dimple said:
Would they have me?
erm as long as your not too old, and have good upper body strength and dont have any medical history then i dont see why not.

Its taken me 6 months to get through the selcetion procedures untill now, and my last selection is in october.

you have to adopt the commando values, and anything else is easy.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
That counts me out then, I'm a wimp and getting on. Oh well never mind;) Yeah and my feet are probably too small:p

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dimple said:
That counts me out then, I'm a wimp and getting on. Oh well never mind;) Yeah and my feet are probably too small:p
Being a whimp can change, i was 9 stone, and now im 11 1/2 stone, and pretty much zero body fat. Muscle weighs alot as you know. I found boxing really helped me out with training too.

I dont know how old you are, but you can apply up to about 36 i think, im no spring chick at 24. In the Royal Marines thats fairly old.

Its a great life and like anything its what effort you put in, you'll get it out.

www.royalmarines.mod.uk

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Welcome to the forum Stacka :)

Hill training is not just for marines you know ;) It builds strength and speed into your legs.
I gained a lot of my speed from doing 10 to 14 hill reps regularly.

If you do the same mileage every time you go out, at roughly the same pace, that is what your body will get used to and will give you the same back.

You need to vary the distance and pace accordingly to build your speed over time.

Run further at an easier pace, run shorter at a faster pace, and mix the two as well...mid distance with short bursts of speed (fartlek). Plus hill reps.

It's best not to do hill reps and faster pace training on consecutive days though

Good luck, if you need any advice just ask ;)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hill reps are...

Find a fairly steep hill and, after a mile or so warm up, run hard for about 2 minutes or 200 metres up the hill, turn round and jog down to recover, repeat the hill hard up and jog down 10 times, then have a mile or so slow run to warm down.

The next time you do the hill rep session (maybe a week later) do 12 hills, the time after that you could do 14.

Remember never do a hard training session the day before or the day after a hill rep session

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trinity said:
Remember never do a hard training session the day before or the day after a hill rep session
Do you mean in the gym......weights, and press-ups type of training, i have to do that 5 days a week???

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Stacka said:
Do you mean in the gym......weights, and press-ups type of training, i have to do that 5 days a week???
No, I meant a hard running session...as in speed work, although lifting heavy weights etc will obviously tire your muscles so you may not be able to get the full benefit from the hill training session.

Also if you're lifting weights to build a lot of upper body muscle then it's unlikely that you'll be able to achieve the sort of speed that an average runner who just follows a running schedule would, with the different running disciplines

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Trinity said:
No, I meant a hard running session...as in speed work, although lifting heavy weights etc will obviously tire your muscles so you may not be able to get the full benefit from the hill training session.

Also if you're lifting weights to build a lot of upper body muscle then it's unlikely that you'll be able to achieve the sort of speed that an average runner who just follows a running schedule would, with the different running disciplines
I only need to be doing a 1.5mile in 9.min 30ish...... thats after we have run 1.5miles as a troop. Of and a legendary Royal Marine warm uo:(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts