Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, this isn't a newbie saying hello. Do you actually acknowledge your fellow runners when you're out on your run? When I was living in Wiltshire I always used to say hello and acknowledge my fellow runners when I was out and about. A little camaraderie on a Sunday morning. Depending if it was a country route I also used to greet the cyclists, horse riders walkers, whoever.

Now I'm in London I never say hello to anyone and I think it's a shame. I still remember my first run in London when I said hello to the first runner I saw. I think her look was "please don't stalk me" :huh:

So do you greet your kins, or are you too in the zone to pay any attention?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
haha... not surprised mate... i'm listening to my mp3 player mostly but i smile at the runners i see... london people are generally nice but are not friendly to strangers...

what surprises me when i run is that no one is ever my age... you'd have thought that most of the runners about would be the youngest - i.e. in their twenties... but when i go running it is very rare that i see people my age - the vast majority of people are thirty-forty and there are quite a few people fifty or older that i see and good on them !...

what i find even stranger is that it isn't because the twenties are less active as so many of them do weights... it seems the majority of guys in the gym doing weights are twenties... quite a few of the guys exclusively do weights and never do cardio... it is most obvious in the gyms when you see a massive divide of boys on the weights and girls on the cardio machines and people don't like to deviate from this... i was perhaps the only guy ever to use the x-trainer back in my gym days... !

i just find this very odd... it seems i'm a bit of the exception of in the twenties year old males age group as few do mostly cardio and little weights (most seem to do just weights or are doing nowt)...

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Revenged said:
what surprises me when i run is that no one is ever my age... you'd have thought that most of the runners about would be the youngest - i.e. in their twenties... but when i go running it is very rare that i see people my age - the vast majority of people are thirty-forty and there are quite a few people fifty or older that i see and good on them !...

what i find even stranger is that it isn't because the twenties are less active as so many of them do weights... it seems the majority of guys in the gym doing weights are twenties... quite a few of the guys exclusively do weights and never do cardio... it is most obvious in the gyms when you see a massive divide of boys on the weights and girls on the cardio machines and people don't like to deviate from this... i was perhaps the only guy ever to use the x-trainer back in my gym days... !

i just find this very odd... it seems i'm a bit of the exception of in the twenties year old males age group as few do mostly cardio and little weights (most seem to do just weights or are doing nowt)...

Sorry if I'm getting this completely wrong, as I've never set foot inside a gym in my life... But it strikes me that the scenario that you describe above is just a plain case of narcissism. Aren't a majority of the guys and girls merely trying to live up to, or attain the "look" which is so often presented in popular media. Strong and muscular for the guys; slim and toned for the girls?

As for saying "hello" when out running? I think it depends on the mood I'm in, or how knackered I am at the time.
There was an occasion on a run not so long ago when I'd been out for maybe 90 minutes or something. I was slogging my way up a grassy hill, on top of which sat a man reading his Sunday paper. As I reached the summit, head down, thinking of nothing else but where the next breath was coming from, he must've spoken some word of greeting, because in response to my silence, he directed some more words at my sweat-drenched back which I'm not going to repeat here.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
pedestrian said:
Sorry if I'm getting this completely wrong, as I've never set foot inside a gym in my life... But it strikes me that the scenario that you describe above is just a plain case of narcissism. Aren't a majority of the guys and girls merely trying to live up to, or attain the "look" which is so often presented in popular media. Strong and muscular for the guys; slim and toned for the girls?

As for saying "hello" when out running? I think it depends on the mood I'm in, or how knackered I am at the time.
There was an occasion on a run not so long ago when I'd been out for maybe 90 minutes or something. I was slogging my way up a grassy hill, on top of which sat a man reading his Sunday paper. As I reached the summit, head down, thinking of nothing else but where the next breath was coming from, he must've spoken some word of greeting, because in response to my silence, he directed some more words at my sweat-drenched back which I'm not going to repeat here.:rolleyes:
Wasn't 4 across scrambled sgesg was it Mr P

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
pedestrian said:
Sounds about right...

Never been to a gym ?!

Scrambled eggs is 'legs' in cockney rhyme - but i still don't know what cheriton is on about.

·
Registered
634 Posts
This has never occurred to me before… I’ve been running for nearly 18 months and, while out training, I’ve never seen anyone else running. :eek:

I see the occasional walker/cyclist/horse rider/sheep/hare/pheasant and I regularly get stared at by a really vicious looking goat. But not one single runner in 18 months. Is this some kind of record?? Or do they all hide when they see me coming??:(

Feeling paranoid.:(

But – to answer the question – if I did see someone out running I would definitely say hello. In fact I’d be so happy to see someone I’d probably give them a hug and invite them back to my house for dinner:d ;)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I look at runners coming the other way and if they make eye contact I say hi, or acknowledge them wiv a smile

(whilst putting on my best running form and speeding up just a tad ;) )

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
I've recently moved and a lot of my new running routes are quite popular with other runners .

So far it's been a bit of a mixed bag with regard to greetings ,smiles or acknowledgements .

I always raise a hand smile and say hi, some reciprecate some don't and others look at you as if your the spawn of the devil.

The latter group are probably right:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Revenged said:
I think part of it could also be where you are doing your running and going to the gym. Where I live most of the runners are 20s, early 30s. And again my gym is mainly 20s and 30s, and yeah, hardly any guys ever do the cross trainer. I tried it once and didn't enjoy it. Besides if I was going to do cardio then it'll be a run, no question about it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Revenged said:
there are quite a few people fifty or older that i see and good on them !
Why thank you, we oldies do try:d

Always smile and greet other runners, usually get the same in return:d

1 - 11 of 11 Posts