Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started running 10 weeks ago, initially to lose weight. But I absolutely love it and have signed up for the Robin Hood half-marathon in September. Oops! Only nine weeks to go and I'm wondering if I've made a mistake. Anyway people say the excitement of the day and the adrenalin will get me through - I hope so!!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Pav

Welcome to RF.

I did the Robin Hood half last year, great event I really enjoyed it.

If you are not expecting to do a certain time, this takes the pressure off somewhat, check out some schedules online, I think it is doable.

What's the furthest distance you have run so far?

TT :d

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Hi Pav,
Welcome to the forum!
Setting yourself a target like the half marathon is a great way of getting in to running, its what I did and Im completetly addicted to running now :)

You will get plenty of encouragement and support on the forum so just ask if you have any questions.

O.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Furthest distance I have run is about 4 miles. I try and run around 3 miles every time I go out. I started out on my treadmill but the motor seems to have packed in so I have no choice but to run outdoors! I must admit that it seems harder to run outside but I feel better for it. I don't think a treadmill can fully replicate an outdoor run.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hi Pav, and welcome aboard. Another newbie here training for a first half marathon (Anglesey) in Sept.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Running outside beats a treadmill any time. I started running a treadmill but then decided to go outside one day....never been back to the gym since!
The think I like is you can do the same route outside but on two different days the route is different i.e. sunnier one day, raining the next :)

Plus if you don't like a route your running on you can take a detour and mix it up a bit. All good fun.

O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Furthest distance I have run is about 4 miles. I try and run around 3 miles every time I go out. I started out on my treadmill but the motor seems to have packed in so I have no choice but to run outdoors! I must admit that it seems harder to run outside but I feel better for it. I don't think a treadmill can fully replicate an outdoor run.
Well that is great, if up you 2 of your 3 milers to 4's and keep one 3 and at the weekend try and do a 6, so that is about 17 miles then each week add 1-2 miles to your longer run, if you can do at least 2 -3 10 milers before the race you should be able to manage to do the last three on adrenaline, hopefully, but I would search for some schedules, to get you as prepared as possible.

You shouldn't increase your mileage each week by more than 10% as a rule of thumb, but you may have to break this rule initially to give you the best chance of completing the race.

Just one other thing have you got proper running shoes, if not get yourself fitted they are essential.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi, I'm another new person going for my first half, but mine's not til November. Good luck and welcome!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Hey again Pav... definately stick to teh outdoor running where possible, it's so much more enjoyable (once you get past the initial pains of running ;) )

Best of luck with the half... and make sure you keep us all updated with your training :d

1 - 10 of 10 Posts