Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, a newbie here!

I'm running the Great North Run on Sunday - or should that be attempting to run the Great North Run! I've only ever done 5km runs before, but I think (hope) I've done enough training. I'm already so nervous though, I'm going to be a total wreck by the day!

Is there a good forum to ask about energy drinks/bars/gels? I've been told by friends that I should take a gel or bar with me, but I'm totally clueless as to which ones to buy...any help much appreciated!! :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF...and good luck with GNR.....especially on the back of 5ks only!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Yes, I think this time next week I'm either going to be swearing off running for life or on a total high! I blame my friend for talking me into this!!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
You`ll be on a high Konstantine.

Make sure you don`t try to run to fast.

AND ENJOY IT !!!!

Taking an energy bar with you is a good idea.

If you can try one this week,to check it dosn`t mess with your stomach.

Good luck....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave :)

I'm heading out for a run after work so I think I might try an energy bar half way through, and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi

Hi Konstantine

Good luck with the GNR, I'm hoping to be fit enough to do it next year.

Let us know how you got on.

Good luck and go get them!!!!

Safe running :)

Peter Bowes

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Wow. Good luck with it!

I think the best advise has been said. Do not try to run to fast or you will run out of steam. You want to be running slower than your 5k speed. Take on water whenever you need it, but in small sips. Personally I have run 14 miles without eating but everyone is different.

Don't try eating anything new on the day as you won't know the effect it will have.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Good luck you are going to love it, I did it last year and the atmosphere will carry you through, you will most definitely be on a high afterwards, if you don't get on with the bar there will be lucozade stops along the way and they will get you out of trouble.

Let us know how you get on.

TT :d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Make sure the lucozade agrees with you beforehand though - see how your stomach reacts to a lucozade sport during a run (if you can). If you can stomach a sports drink, you won't need any gels (gels are essentially just a sports drink without the water, lol)

When you say only done 5k runs before... do you mean 5k events? or that you've never run further than 5k in one go? :huh:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well...I made it! I clocked in at 2 hours 42, which I was really happy with for my first 1/2 marathon.

I was fine until 7 miles, then I started to really feel it, the Lucozade drinks they were handing out saved me! I had to walk a bit from then on, and the last 3 miles were hell, but was SO happy to make it across the finish line.

Only downside of the day was the 4 hour journey from South Shields to Newcastle, which meant we missed our train home, and had to shell out £98 each for new tickets, and had to stand the whole way back to London!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Congratulations on completing the distance!

Bet you were well chuffed at having to stand on the way home after all that effort, how are your legs today?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Well Done Konstantine.

Try to keep your racing more local to avoid travel problems in future.

I`ve got a mate who keeps to a rule that says.

"The journey time to a race cannot be any longer than the estimated race time."

Not to difficult to keep to down here in the South East of the country......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts