Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just joined the site looking for some help with the jump from Half marathon the full marathon entred the Edinburgh Marathon 2009. Completeed leeds Half marathon this year in 2 hour 10min . Limited to training twice week.

Any training hints tips would be great help. Not sure is I should keep on putting on the mile upto the 26 miles through the dark winter months

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Anpea, I did the great north run on Sunday, it was my first half marathon and I loved it. I'm doing the New York Marathon in just over 3 weeks, I'll (hopefully) be able to share my training tips if I do ok, don't want to give any poor advice at this point. I know what it's like getting motivated to go out in the dark and cold

I'm sure others will be able to help you out.

Dan

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Welcome to the site anpea.

I don't run that far so no advice but, you might find it a little quieter here over the weekend. A lot of peeps post from work :) Stick around and someone will have something to add.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Hi anpea.
That's a fair time for your half so you should be able to progress to the full marathon without too much trouble...but you will need to do more than 2 runs a week. 4 would be ideal. 1 long run, 1 tempo run, 1 speed/hill session and one steady run.

I'd suggest you find a club to run with ...you'll get lots of advice and will find people to do long runs with...so much easier that way.

You will need to build up mileage slowly so your muscles get used to the extra stress put on them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi steve, thank you for you reply that was my worry that 2 runs per week would not be enough. when you mntion build up slowly is that 2 miles extra per month so by christmas aim for 17 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi anpea,
Steve's advice about joining a club is spot on for training through the winter months for a marathon in the spring.
My club has several groups of runners of differing speed, and I am sure you will find a similar club near to wherever you are.
don't be daunted about feeling out of place on your first visit, runners really are a friendly bunch and will always welcome new members, whatever ability.

The general maxim for building up mileage is to not increase your longest run by anymore than 10% each week, or weekly mileage by anymore than 10%

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Welcome to the forum, anpea.

I'm in for Edinburgh as well next year, hoping to get under 4:30.

I agree with the other comments about running more often and joining a club - I always seemed to have people to do my long run with.

If you can stretch to three sessions a week, it might be worthwhile checking out this training plan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Anpea

Its a good idea to join a club, everyone is always friendly and when doing long runs it is better to run with someone. There's generally different abilities but you get to make new friends, find new running partners and find loads of great advice.

I mainly run on my own during the week and with a friend on a sunday morning which is for a long run. Doing a long run with someone else helps as when you get tired and want to stop they help to keep you going and you work together to get round. Having a chat seems to work better sometimes then listening to music!!! The only reason I don't run with a club at the moment is I can't fit it into my schedule but you do benefit from it.

Good luck with your marathon training.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts