Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just taking a few minutes to say hello.

I've only just started running (if you can call it that) again after a break of 3 years. Really love running but the clip my husband took on his phone of me running Race for Life back then made me look like a lump of lard and shocked me into not running. Stupid, I know cos now I'm fatter and much less fit.

I've made contact with our local running club as I think running with others will give me that push I need to keep going, but at the moment I'm following Hrun's beginner's advice to get started with 20 mins broken down into 3 mins run, 2 walk.

Could do with advice on how well you guys think I should be running before I join running club proper.:|

Liz

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
hi, welcome.. and gratz on taking the first step.

as for the joining of a club.. i think it depends on the club. i know that the club i am with the slowest group runs about 6miles in around 1hr10 ish.. however every club is different so its prob worth makeing a couple of phone calls

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Hi Liz and welcome.

Try 18 plus stone as a lump of lard :) I am glad you have restarted and the run/walk is a great way to build up. Don't worry about what other people think, you will soon be envied by them.

As for a club most have some form of slow group. Best bet is to contact your local club and ask what their criteria is. That way you will have a goal to aim for.

Let us know how you are getting on.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
sorry.. throw back to my online gaming days....#

FTW:
For The Win
Commonly used among geeks to express their enthusiasm for something, especially in IRC.
a) Cola is best
b) nope, Pepsi is way better
a) Cola FTW!

Abbreviation of 'For the Win', often used as a rallying cry in computer games, especially online games like World of Warcraft.
"Horde FTW!", as shouted by a WoW Horde player in a charge against Alliance.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF Pip Squeak.

Whereabouts in Norfolk are you?

What club have you contacted?

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Welcome Liz! This place is great for advice and motivation, as Hrun said, don't listen or worry about what other people think, the most important bit is that you took the first step and you are now running. One bit of advice I would say is make sure you have the correct trainers, visit you local running shop if you havent already done so and they will be able to advice what trainers you should have, they make a huge difference and make running more enjoyable and less injury prone.

O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Liz

Welcome to RF.

Keep us posted on your progress and how you get on finding a club.

TT :d

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi

I'm really touched that I've had so many replies (and expanded my knowledge of online gaming at the same time!).

Steve - I'm in South Norfolk.

I'll be on the treadmill tonight and then outside sometime over the week-end to see how I get on if the weather is fine (no, I know it shouldn't matter) and I can persuade my husband or son to come with me on their bikes. Will let you know how I get on.

I'm due to go back to the running club next week but I think I may delay it by a week or two if I can't run continuously for more than say 5 minutes.

Back soon,
Liz

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
citing go get em Liz :d

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hey Liz, good luck with getting back out there.

I'm in the same bit of the world as you it would seem - it'd be interesting to see how you get on with local clubs. It's something I've considered but haven't yet done. I think my nearest is probably Wymondham, not sure though.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi

I've definitely decided against inflicting myself on a club for now. I ran outside for the first time today in 6 months, 2nd time in 3 1/2 years and I was just so hopeless. I couldn't do more than 2 minutes without having to stop to walk and at times my "running" was putting one foot in front of the other as though I was walking a tightrope. I think the euphoria at the end of the run was very much because I hadn't keeled over. But I'm planning to go out again tomorrow to see how I get on (assuming I can move)

As for a club, I like the idea of running with people and somewhere where I shouldn't bump into people I know, as I live in the sticks. The club I spoke to were really helpful but even so I don't think they realised I was quite such a beginner. I'm planning on sticking at it at home for 6 weeks and building up my times and distances and then go back to them when I have a hope of keeping up with their slow group. Will let you know how I get on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts