Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

just started doing some running again; used to run in the early/mid 80s. I have always swam and, because I can't drive, I cycle everywhere. I work for the NHS in the community and I am cycling all day from client to client and meeting to meeting. Over the last few weeks I have been leaving my bike at home some days and running to and from place to place.

In 2000 at the age of 44 I suffered a heart attack, even though I was a veggie, non smoker and drank little, I also swam 3 or 4 times a week averaging 2 miles plus each swim! There was a blood clot with my name on it. Anyway I kept up the exercise and healthy eating; however, last August I had to have a stent inserted into a coronary artery that was 95% narrowed. Apparently I was lucky, all the swimming and cycling prompted my body to grow some extra arteries to help the blood flow. After the procedure I kept up the swimming and cycling and have recently decided to add running to my repertoire.

My favourite music is Mike Oldfield, The Pogues and thin Lizzy. I am a big Chuckle Brothers fan and saw them yesterday (20/03/08) at the Hull New Theatre. My favourite food is bacon, egg, sausage and beans (veggie bacon and sausage of course). My preferred tipple is whisky and I love beer. I run my own karate club (I am a 6th Dan black belt karate and a 2nd Dan black belt in jujitsu).

I have joined the forum for advise, support and inspiration, hopefully to give as well as receive

Pete

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

Unlucky to get heart trouble with such a healthy lifestyle, que sera sera I guess.

Anyway, I hope the running goes well for you

·
Registered
835 Posts
Good on you to keep up the execise with all that bad luck, but just as well you did.

Proof if ever you need it that exercise can never be bad for you. (unless you have an accident doing so, see sore pride
)

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheriton said:
Welcome to the forum was it a genetic predisposition?
Yes my father had a triple heart bypass in his mid 50s; he didn't smoke or drink and was not even overweight!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome:d

1 - 9 of 9 Posts