Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My name is Nick, and i've been putting off re-joining the gym for a while now but the time has come and i've re-joined.

I'm going to target the running machines etc to lose some weight to begin with and i'm determined to lose weight. :embarrassed:

Like i said in the title i'm a big 'un at 6ft 6 and i've got unwanted weight that needs shifting ASAP.

Now i'm going away in a month and any difference before then would be great, but i'm not expectin' too much too soon.

I'm goin' in to this experience very determined and i am going to strive to hit the gym 3-4 times per week ( Monday, Thursday, poss. Friday, Saturday )

The only issue i have as a begginner to the runnin' is how much to do per session?

When i've been to the gym in the past i've done upto 45mins on the running machines but been really knackered afterwards...But i don't mind this...!

I'm really up for this challenge that beholds me this time.....

Any advice/ tips/ general comments etc would be great!?!?!

Thanks in Advance :cool:

Nick

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hi Nick

Well done for the determination!

If you're trying to lose weight I'm sure you're aware that you need to look at your diet as well as exercise. It's a basic equation of using more energy (calories) than you put in.

Having said that you need to watch what kind of food you eat...ie it needs to be low fat and high in nutrients. Plus you must not skip a meal.

As far as the gym goes, while you are trying to lose weight I would stay away from the weights machines, or you'd risk building muscle, which would hinder your weight loss.

So use the treadmill, rower, cross trainer, and bike. I would suggest at this stage 20 minutes on treadmill, 15 on cross trainer, 15 on bike and 10 minutes on rower. Drink lots of water and eat fruit after the exercise...don't fall into the trap of "I've had a good workout so I can eat something yummy"...I know about that one! :confused:

Also walk as much a you can...leave the car at home if possible. and take the stairs over the lift or escalator every time.

Let us know how it goes

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Nick

Welcome to the forum, good luck with your mission and keep us posted on how the weight loss is going.

TT :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Trinity said:
Drink lots of water and eat fruit after the exercise...don't fall into the trap of "I've had a good workout so I can eat something yummy"...I know about that one! :confused:
What Trin means Nick is that if you have any chocolate send it to her and she'll look after it for you!:d

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the encouragement!!!

Should i not touch the weights for toning or just stick to the excercise machines?

I was hopin' to stick each session out at the gym for 1.5 hours so how could i spread the excercises over this amount of time?

How long roughly do you guys/gals think it'd take b4 i start to notice any difference???

Also, What distance should i be aiming for on the treadmill?

LIKE I SAID B4, WHATEVER IT TAKES AT THE GYM I'LL DO THIS!!

ANY INPUT FROM ANYONE ON HERE BENEFITS ME 100% AND I CAN ADAPT WHAT YOU SAY INTO MY PROGRAMME AT THE GYM!

Thanks Again

Nick

:p

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Steve... as if I would say that!
...but nick, if you do have any chocolate I think it would be best if you sent it to me....just to look after while you're losing weight :rolleyes:

Like I said, I would leave the weights alone until you've lost most of the weight you want to lose. You can do abdominal exercises to help with toning the six pack. I'm sure your gym will have one of those 'fit ball' things, they are great for exercising on.

An hour solid CV exercises + using the fit ball + essential stretching exercises after your workout will easily add up to 1.5 hours.

This is only to get your body started, in a couple of weeks you could increase your time on the tready for example.

Don't try and do too much too soon or you'll risk injury.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well.......

Tonight at the gym, the first time in over 9 months.........AND.....

It was very hard work but i stuck at it! :mad:

To start with i arrived at 5.55 to the gym so started the workout bang on 6.

I hopped on to the running machine pressed a few buttons and away i went. It was the Army fit test and that equated to 3.2km at speed 8.3. I burnt 352 calories and it took just over 22mins.. I dunno if this is any good but i felt bloody knackered..... NEXT

I jumped on the bike next..... I did 18mins which was the equivalent 7.2km and burnt nearly 170calories that time.

Finally i pulled myself up on to the cross trainer and did another 18mins on this machine. I was fairly tired at this point but plodded on... i covered 3km burning 150 calories

At the end i'd drunk 1litre of water and burnt a total of 682calories it might have been a little less/more..

For my dinner i had 2 ham sandwichs with 2 apples and a bottle of water,

I've just got in a had a bid dish of pasta with tuna and sweetcorn!

hopefully i've burnt calories more than ive eaten today!

I'll be back at the gym wednesday or thursday!!!

Comments are Welcome.......... :d

Nick

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
n1ck said:
Well.......

Tonight at the gym, the first time in over 9 months.........AND.....

It was very hard work but i stuck at it! :mad:

To start with i arrived at 5.55 to the gym so started the workout bang on 6.

I hopped on to the running machine pressed a few buttons and away i went. It was the Army fit test and that equated to 3.2km at speed 8.3. I burnt 352 calories and it took just over 22mins.. I dunno if this is any good but i felt bloody knackered..... NEXT

I jumped on the bike next..... I did 18mins which was the equivalent 7.2km and burnt nearly 170calories that time.

Finally i pulled myself up on to the cross trainer and did another 18mins on this machine. I was fairly tired at this point but plodded on... i covered 3km burning 150 calories

At the end i'd drunk 1litre of water and burnt a total of 682calories it might have been a little less/more..

For my dinner i had 2 ham sandwichs with 2 apples and a bottle of water,

I've just got in a had a bid dish of pasta with tuna and sweetcorn!

hopefully i've burnt calories more than ive eaten today!

I'll be back at the gym wednesday or thursday!!!

Comments are Welcome.......... :d

Nick
Quite the work out, just a thought do you weigh your food, such as pasta (75g - 100g per portion) this will help also to control your diet. You're doing great but make sure you have more easier workouts aswell then hard as you will be out of your fat burning zone and may also make yourself prone to injury. :eek:

TT :d

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do you people think this is too much too soon....?

If i'm being totally honest i do ache a little bit today but i'm not sore. i'll be ready for thursdays session..

i found the run which was 3.2 km went really well up to about 2/3rds way through then it got tough...

When i started the gym over a year back i was never given a programme so i'm not really experienced as to what i should be doin.... for how long etc....

I know this prob. sounds cheeky but if someone would be so kind as to suggest some sort of programme that i could work to?

I'm going to target the gym on mondays, thursdays, fridays and saturdays.

i'm 19 and 6ft 6in and prob weigh roughly 105kg.

How long should i expect to be going to the gym before i notice some difference in the way i look?

Thanks again :)

Nick

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
It sounds to me like you're doing ok...just go with how you feel and if you don't feel up to so much one day be prepared to give yourself a break. Don't be a slave to it or you will become de-motivated, and that's no fun.

Most gyms have instructors there who can work out individual programmes. They will give you a general health check and will be able to best guide you to the goal you want to achieve.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Hi you sound like your doing o.k like trin said you should go with how you feel. Your obviously very motivated and thats not a goog thing.

I would start weight lifting as soon as your ready because it will tone you up as you lose the weight, this also aids weight lose as it increases your metabolism. Muscle tone will not be visable straight away but you could start now.
To fit it in you could shortern your workout 2 days a week and weight lift on those days, circuit training .
your doing great hayley

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
hayley1977 said:
Hi you sound like your doing o.k like trin said you should go with how you feel. Your obviously very motivated and thats not a goog thing.

I would start weight lifting as soon as your ready because it will tone you up as you lose the weight, this also aids weight lose as it increases your metabolism. Muscle tone will not be visable straight away but you could start now.
To fit it in you could shortern your workout 2 days a week and weight lift on those days, circuit training .
your doing great hayley
sorry typing to fast again, i ment to say being motivated wasnt a bad thing ( was up early this morn) hayley

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the support i'm gettin from this place is great but keep it coming :p

i'm off to the gym tomorrow after work going to targer the treadmill again, bike and cross trainer hopefully completing the same as i did on monday!

it was hard work though but not too hard. acheivable!

Thanks again

Nick

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
hayley1977 said:
( was up early this morn) hayley
early? That's not early, I was up at 4 to start work at 5.30 :confused: I finished at 11 though :)

Nick, like like Hayley said, you could do weights, but bear in mind that while you are trying to lose weight, it will be quite easy to build muscle if you work them with the weights.

Muscle also weighs heavier than fat so it may mean that you see slow progress on the scales, even though you are trimming down.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Trin when i said early it was 6.30am but i wasnt really with it at 8.30 am still as my 3 year old had me up alot in the night, but im one of those lucky ones who doesnt really sleep alot, something children do to you i think.:)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I remember the days with little ones... it is hard work, and you're right, you get used to sleep deprivation. Mine are 17, 13 and 12 now and I think I'm making up for lost time because I can sleep for England, given half the chance.

I just love the school holidays because on days that I don't work I usually don't get up before 9.30 :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hi again,

i'm going to gym tommorow after work and i think i will try a bit of light weights nothing too heavy to risk building muscle.

i'm going to try the same regime as monday, see how that pays off!

:d

Nick

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i went to the gym last night and what a difference.

I did the same 3.2km run as monday and i could believe the difference.

It was a huge difference, so so much easier.

This time i took my Mp3 player and i dont know whether this helped but i took over 1 min off my time and i found it easier- i wouldn't go as far as to say it was easy though :d

I also did 5km on the cross trainer and felt much much better afterwards.

Great Session really!!!!

:d

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi again,

Just a quick Q...:eek:

Is it better to run for longer at a slower speed ( e.g 7.0kph @ 5.5km)

or

Faster for a shorter period? (e.g 8.5 kph @ 3.2KM)

what would benefit me more for burning calories?

Cheers in advance!!!

Nick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts