Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is suger you get in a apple the same as the suger you get in coke?

Say i had a inercent smoothie whats pure frute but 120 cal.

or i had a bottle of coke whats 140 cal

is the suger in the smoothie bad and turns into fat or is it good?

Also can i have a smoothie for breakfest as i dont like food in the morning

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
The problem with fizzy drinks is not just their sugar contact but also the gas that causes the fizz as this can erode you teeth and cause digestive problems. Having a smoothie for breakfast is a really good idea as its an easy way of introducing fresh fruit into your diet. It may be cheaper in the long run though to make your own smoothies rather than buy them ready made (also less sugars). You don't really need a smoothie maker either you can use an ordinary hand blender.

There is no real such thing as 'good' or 'bad' sugars as such just remember if you eat more than your body requires it will end up storing the excess as fat.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Warning - I'm not an expert, it's all based on belief

Some sugars break down more easily than others, Glucose being the fastest. I don't think this makes much difference in reality though as i expect they're all broken down by the body pretty quickly.

My understanding is that most processed sugar comes from sugar beet or sugar cane and would be fructose, the same as in the apple. I would expect the body to absorb the sugars more slowly from the apple than the coke, though, if only because the body has to break down the apple to get to it.

It would make no difference in calory terms whether you took the sugars in drink form or apple form but generally the slower the release the better as you may feel peckish sooner if the sugar is absorbed and used by the body more quickly.

I wait to be corrected.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I think thumbs is about right... sugar found in fruits is fructose, rather than the more quicker breaking down sugars such as Glucose. Strangely though it would appear that coke is made with 'high fructose corn syrup' which is apparently bad for you, I can't say i totally understand it, but I think corn syrup is pure glucose, which breaks down quicker, and following on from Thumbs's post, is therefore worse.

From what I understand, the sugars that break down more quickly will lead to you body storing it as fat unless your body uses it as energy whilst excercising... I couldn;t elaborate on that though!

Anyways, in answer to your original question, Smoothies for brekky are good, and fruit sugars are far better than refined sugars like those in coke.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hiya

A lot of the calories in a pure fruit drink will actually be from carbohydrates, which are "better" because they break down slowly over a few hours. Sugars break down really fast, giving you a quick rush when you have lots of energy, then disappearing, making you feel hungry again.

Plus if you have excess sugar in your system, you are likely to convert what you don't use to fat, while if energy is released a bit at a time, like with carbs, you are more likely to just burn it.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Just one other thing it is also best to eat fruit before your meal whether it be lunch or dinner as it is generally digested with in 20 mins, if eaten afterwards it will just ferment on top of what you have eaten.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts