Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum but i need some help. Iv been running off and on some since 2012, but iv only really trained regular since november 2016 prior to that id go months of not training. I have run 8 hm, 1m, lost count of 10ks so im getting used to my bosy and judging how i feel. On each of my last four races i have been very dizzy as soon as i stop when i cross the finish line. Light headed, blurry vision, legs like jelly etc.

Race distances were 2 5mile races, 1 hm and 1 10k. I have not changed my training, so im guessing its hydration or food related.

Where do i start. I do sweat alot during runs, and i do hit the red line HR wise with HR typically avg 167-175 and in a pr all out i have hit 198 HR.

Any advice on what to try first?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have felt a little light headed a couple of times, but only when it has been a hot day. I put it down to being more dehydrated than normal, and loosing electrolytes. I found that a sports drink or a sport supplement that dissolve in water helped.

I always try to hydrate myself before going out now, and also take water with me, and hydrate further after the run but not all in one go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As above, keeping well hydrated is important. Low blood sugar can cause the symptoms you describe.
The above recommendations are all true. For me, when I run Ultra's (50 or 100 mile); I tend to feel under the weather at times mainly due to my iron level. For me, as long as I am hydrated, the answer is simple: just eat some protein (meat) and my strength returns. You could have low blood sugar, diabetes, or are just low on electrolytes. I am sure that there are supplements that you can experiment with on training runs to figure out what works for you. If you don't have a hydration belt or pack, then invest in one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Over hydrating can make you feel dizzy, has also caused adverse events during races.
I make sure I have double the normal table salt intake before a race (starting the night before) and can run 12 K at least without taking water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts