Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

As some of you know I have had a problem with my knee, (havn't gone to the Doc's yet) but have laid off the running for a while (about 3 weeks now)...my knee seems to be coming around so I thought I might start off running gradually again, I was doing a 5k about 2 to 3 times a week up until my knee problem, and as I only started running in August of this year I thought I was getting on ok.

My question is where should my training start? Do I need to start from scratch, ie walk/run programme....any comments would be appreciated...Thanks:d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Sorry Nellie....don't know why I didn't reply earlier....nothing personal you'll understand!

So where to start? If I were you I'd start by doing a 20 min run/walk to see how the knee reacts. If it plays up ice it when you get in and perhaps take a bit more time off and see your GP for advice but don't expect much real help there! Probably best to see a physio but might cost a few bob.

If your knee doesn't play up I 'd repeat the run/walk a couple of times during the week and then revert to the training that you were doing assuiming all stays well.

I've been doing a lot less than I normally do since my last 1/2m but will revert to doing roughly what I had been doing say less 10% when I start up again next week.

All the best

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Best of luck Nellie, hope Steve's advice does the trick :huh:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Keep your stride short, try leading with your upper body but if the apin returns I think you should see someone. My knees drive me mad....sometimes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay - forget 'good advice' and be practical!

If your knee allows, spend 3 days walking with short, slow jogs included (15-30 seconds).

If okay - extend the slow jogs (1-3 minutes) and walk bits - another 3 days following a day's rest.

If okay - the next week - jog a mile; 2 days later 1.5 miles - 2 days later 2 miles - 2 days later try a very slow 3 miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts