Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to run many years ago when I was 16 but had an accident which kept me from running for about 12 months and I never got back into it. Ive now decided to start getting back to running and as abit of help ive asked my 12 year old daughter to come along with me. Im overweight but my daughter is as slim as anything. Anyway we run every other day with weekends off but we just dont seem to be getting anywhere after 3 weeks of trying. we start off by running 2 minutes and then walk for 1 minute then we run again but my daughter can only manage 1:30 and then we rest again and for the rest of the work out she can only manage running 1 lampost distance then walking to the next one then running to the next etc. we end up doing 1.2miles in 16 minutes. weve got proper light weight running shoes etc but im starting to get frustrated as I dont feel were really comming along. So does anyone have any advice for a real beginner and a young daughter who I just cant seem to push anymore than she is already doing.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
My advice would be .....

A) Don't beat yourself up about it, you will improve over time
B) Slow down, almost to walking pace if need be, I'm guessing that you both could walk 2 miles easily, just aim to get around and don't keep an eye on the time at all.
C) Don't lose the faith, join a running club, or as I do run with a mate or a couple of mates who will encourage you through the early stages.

Good luck

G.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm sure it'll come along in its own time. Have you tried power walking in between instead of slow walking you might feel that you're doing more. I do that when i'm going on a longer than normal run and feel tired instead of slowing down too much and it also works your upper body too.I'm no expert but it works for me. I think its great that your daughter is doing it too, my son has mentioned it he's only nine though but i might give it a go soon.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Technium

Welcome to the forum.

Like the others have said don't be too harsh on yourself it has only been 3 weeks, if your daughter doesn't always have the enthusiasm to run, maybe she could come out with you on her bike perhaps every other run, that way it gives you an opportunity to perhaps run for a minute longer and less recovery periods, that way you don't feel guilty pushing her and you're not stopping her coming out with you either, plus she is still getting exercise?

My sisters 3 kids are all under the age of seven and she takes them round the block after every run she does, they love it. :d

TT

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Granty said:
My advice would be .....

A) Don't beat yourself up about it, you will improve over time
B) Slow down, almost to walking pace if need be, I'm guessing that you both could walk 2 miles easily, just aim to get around and don't keep an eye on the time at all.
C) Don't lose the faith, join a running club, or as I do run with a mate or a couple of mates who will encourage you through the early stages.

Good luck

G.
I totally agree with all of that.

Joining jogscotland and then a running club helped me improve so much. You just have to keep plugging away and build up the mileage slowly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi its early days on you journey,what i'd do in your position is run ahead of your daughter and keep turning back to meet her,you've just got to keep your chin up and stay motivated it'll all came together in time,take care. M

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I thought I would do abit of an update.

Ive downloaded a couch to 5k training schedule from coolrunnings and sat down with my daughter to discuss the schedule and see if we can stick to it.

Weve just started it yesterday but we also did day one on Friday just as a tester to see how well we would do.

anyway she seemed fine, for those who hasnt seen it basically the 1st week we run for 60 seconds, walk for 90 and repeat 8 times for a total of 20 minutes and we do that every other day.

Next week it gets abit harder so im hoping she will be fine when the going gets a little tougher. Weve also tried slowing down abit more to enable her to breath a little easier and also trying to get her to concentrate on her breathing whch seems to be ok at the moment.

I will keep coming back to let you know how we get on.

thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Excellent sounds similar to the training programme that got me started. Its pretty cool that she's running with you I don't think I would have run with my Dad when I was her age.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok well heres another update.

Were onto week 4 now and yesterday was the following schedule -

Run 3 Minutes
Walk 90 seconds
Run 5 Minutes
Walk 2:30 Minutes
Run 3 Minutes
Walk 90 Seconds
Run 5 Minutes

Well we both managed the first 3 Minutes fine, the 90 second rest time didnt seem long enough before our 5 minute run but we both suprised ourselves by doing the full 5 minutes (cor its a long way isnt it lol) then we had the 2:30 minutes rest which we needed before doing the next 3 minutes which again we managed to do but by this time we must have been glowing as I could feel the heat coming from my daughters head and me being alot fatter I mean un fitter than she is im sure I was just as hot! Anyway after that final rest we had the last 5 minutes which were really hard especially the last 2 minutes but we done it, yay and the sense of achievement when we got back and regained conciousness was fantastic. Ok for all you long runners its not much but to me and my daughter it was a half marathon :)

Anyway will keep you informed, thanks for listening.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok heres another update.

We are now running a massive 28 minutes with no breaks and running 2.6 miles in that time which I dont believe is too bad a pace.

I feel fitter in myself, ive lost 8 pound in weight but still probably about 2 stone over weight so plenty of running still to do.

We have 1 more week of running (30 minute runs with no stopping) left to do of the "couch to 5k challenge" so now im wondering if anyone has any other training schedules to take me/us to the next step as I find its easier if were following some kind of schedule.

So any links would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I would not change anything this close to your first race, the progress you have made is fantastic, get this race out of the way and then plan the training for the next one.

Well done !

G.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Granty, but Im not actually going to race. The couch to 5k challenge was on a website mentioned on this forum to get fat lazy lumps like me off the couch and being able to run 5k but im not doing a race im just coming to the end of the schedule then ive got no where to go from here, I hope that makes sense??

Last night was a real schocker!!! its the first time I actually hated running, from the very first stride I just didnt feel right, I was out of breath and breathing heavy all the way round, I managed to do 2.75 miles in 28 minutes which is only .15 of a mile faster than we normally do but I just couldnt get into it there was no way I would of been able to hold a conversation like they suggest so any advice why this would be?? also normally when we finish within a couple of minutes my heart rate drops to its normal rate and after the stretches im fine again but it took ages for my heart rate to drop and even then an hour later I was still sweating and red in the face.

Is there any ways or excercises to improve my cardiovascular fitness? as after all this time im still out of breath going up stairs and that was the main reason I decided to do excercise and start running.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
In that case, why not enter a 5K race somewhere local to you, that way you would be able to follow a training schedule again with the 'reward' of a race for your efforts. you could then increase the mileage of each race you enter as you continue to improve your distances.

As for last night, don't worry .............. we all get them, I tend to find that I ocassionally have a shocker after a bad / busy day at work and my preparation has not been what it should be (either that or a slight 'mars bar' lapse to the diet :d . Are you sure you are not over doing it as well, rest days are equally important as part of a training schedule.

As for improving general cardiovascular fitness, swimming, rowing and cycling are good and also give the legs a break from pounding the streets.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that was quick Granty, thanks for that.

I cant do running locally yet, one reason is I dont feel fit enough or confident enough to either join a race or a club for reasons I dont want to get into just yet.

Not sure about over doing it, We usually do 2.6 miles in 28 minutes yesterday was only 2.75 miles in the same time so not really at much of a quicker pace than normal, but according to those charts to work out max heart rate etc I should be 220 minus age of 34 so total 186 which means 60% is 111 and 80% is 149, well just jogging the 28 minutes my average heart rate is about 165 and last night my peak was 181 and average was about 169 so those figures just dont seem to add up because my average is 165 just jogging and I cant get any slower than that.

Maybe the route I take could be the issue, would that be it??

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hiya,

All the heart rate stuff confuses me, I've never bothered to try and understand it but others on here will certainly be able to shed some light on it. I'm not a member of a running club (and do understand your concerns about joining one) but do go running regularly with mates but running a race is very different, your times for a 5K race are spot on mate and you would certainly find people running slower.

Go for it.!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts