Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Jude, retired in 2004 to France, in the Dordogne. I turned 60 in February. I've been running on and off for 20 years, mainly to keep fit and to keep weight down. Also managed 2 half marathons. I got into writing a book last winter and running went out the window, now I'm paying for being so slothful! It seems that after 60 it's hard to get fit again if one has a lengthy period with no exercise. I try and run about 3 miles every day which takes me about 45 minutes – a lot slower than I used to be! I wonder if it's normal to tire more easily when in the upper age brackets? It 's far more difficult to shed weight! I guess determination is the key word. Maybe I should try longer distances? Are there any over 60's out there who can give me some advice on how to up my fitness? I'm 5' 9" and about 12st 7lbs with a large frame.
Many thanks
Jude:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I think you are doing well running 3 miles in 45 minutes every day, considering you have just got back into it. I don't know what it is like running as an over 60, but there are plenty of over 60s that do a lot of running successfully. It may feel difficult right now, but it always is when you start running, whatever age you are. If you're not injuring yourself, I would suggest you keep at it and it will get easier. Eventually you will lose any excess weight you have and the running will become easier as well. Good luck and don't give up :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree. I'm just coming back from 2 weeks of injury and the amount of fitness I lost in that time is amazing. It has hit my motivation a bit and I'm trying to fight back the thoughts of "I may as well give up because one more injury and I'll be back to square one again". Your mind can be your greatest friend and your worst enemy; you just have to know how to use it correctly. Think positive and just enjoy being out in the open air and running at a pace your comfortable with.

We're not all Olympic athletes but then again we're not all Gordon Ramsey but that doesn't mean we should stop cooking.

PS. What's the book about?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks JB for the positive input. I think in my own mind I had thought pretty much the same thing. I have no problems with injuries. I know as the weight goes down the running should get easier.

Thanks m4tty, I know what you say is right too - the mind is a big part of running. Actually it's the bit that gets you out of the chair in front of the computer to start with!! I am determined to keep going now that I have started again.

This morning I got my hubby to drive me five miles away and I ran home. It was an easy run because I reckon maybe 2/3 of it is a slight downhill gradient, the rest is uphill or flat. I timed myself and made it in 58 minutes. That's 11.6 minutes a mile. I'm really pleased with it.

Thanks again for your input!

(The book is a true story of a hopeless romantic who goes off traveling in search of a soul mate at age 22 and eventually finds him at age 56, with a lot of adventures along the way!)

Jude

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Hi, I'm Jude, retired in 2004 to France, in the Dordogne. I turned 60 in February. I've been running on and off for 20 years, mainly to keep fit and to keep weight down. Also managed 2 half marathons. I got into writing a book last winter and running went out the window, now I'm paying for being so slothful! It seems that after 60 it's hard to get fit again if one has a lengthy period with no exercise. I try and run about 3 miles every day which takes me about 45 minutes – a lot slower than I used to be! I wonder if it's normal to tire more easily when in the upper age brackets? It 's far more difficult to shed weight! I guess determination is the key word. Maybe I should try longer distances? Are there any over 60's out there who can give me some advice on how to up my fitness? I'm 5' 9" and about 12st 7lbs with a large frame. Many thanks, Jude:rolleyes:
Hi there, I've been running for just over twenty years too, starting aged 55, and I can honestly say they've been the best years of my life. However, at our end of the age scale it's not easy to keep motivated. Perhaps the best way is to find a friend or neighbour or acquaintance to share your interest and run with you. If the weather isn't too good, or you're feeling a bit lethargic, it's all too easy to say 'sod it'. But if you have someone to run with it's easier to get off your bum and get out there together. You needn't necessarily have the same goals. Yours might be to lose a few pounds in weight. Theirs might be to run 5K in 25 minutes. But it's important to have goals of some sort, both short and long term. Having always been an outdoor person I run nowadays for the sheer love of being in wild and lonely places, being at one with nature, out on the moors, by the rivers or up in the mountains. I'm sure there are wonderful places to run in the Dordogne.
Cheers!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So good to hear you're still running at 75! It gives me hope. I also love wild and lonely places and since we live isolated in the woods I can often run without seeing another soul. As you say, it's just too easy with bad weather or too much sun, to say 'sod it'! Keeping motivated is really the most difficult part - it takes a lot of self discipline. I have a treadmill for bad weather so unfortunately I have absolutely no excuse! I think joining this forum will be great, and will help keep up the enthusiasm. Thanks for the encouragement.
Jude

1 - 6 of 6 Posts