Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... well not literally. But I have been attending a tri club's swimming sessions for the last three weeks, where I am rather unusuccessfully trying to improve my pathetic crawl. I'm not used to putting my face in the water so much, and every week so far have come home and ended up with really blocked sinuses. Last night was unbearable as I got about two-three hours sleep. I am wondering if this happens to anyone else, or whether I am having a slightly allergic reaction to the chlorine. It feels like rhinitis/sinusitis to me. I am panicking a bit as I really want to keep this up and get to a reasonable (note I didn't say good!) level of swimming, but I don't think I can do it if I have this reaction every time. Has anyone tried nose clips, and do they help? Or is it just that my breathing technique is crap (highly likely!)

Answers on a postcard please.

To think I am choosing to do this!

atb
MMx

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's not something I've heard of but nose clips sound like thay might be worth a try. Perhaps one of the swimmers on here may be able to help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I get this occasionally - varies depending on the chemical/pollution level in the pool on the day. What I find helps is even more unpleasant - at the time! Rinse your sinuses in the shower afterwards! Cup your hands, fill with clean warm shower water and inhale up your nose - all the way back into your mouth! Alternatively try some open-water swimming :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Yikes! Colin that sounds even worse! But I will bear it in mind. I tried a nose clip last night and it felt much better. So much so that I've managed a five mile run this morning. Last week I felt so dreadful on Tuesday from lack of sleep I could barely even walk the children to school!

Swimming also slightly improved in that I managed two lengths back to back for the first time. With all the drills I think I did about 24 in total. Which is an improvement. But it's a steep learning curve - I can do about 40-50 lengths breaststroke no problem!!

MMx

PS If anyone's interested will be holding an online launch party for my book from 8-15 June. If anyone's interested email me at: [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts