Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! :d

Although not new to running, I’m new on here and thought I’d say Hi and ask some much needed advice if I may? My problem seems to be the opposite of most runners who do it to loose weight - mine is that I’m loosing too much! :( I’m a 6’ fella, who’s weight has now dropped below 11 stone. I eat quite a lot for my weight, plenty of fruit, a good cereal for breakie and something big for lunch and dinner. But am I missing anything in particular or would any of these protein shakes be recommended? I don’t eat a lot of meats if that’s the key to my problem?? I do attend circuit training three times a week, which is mainly cardio, and run about 5 miles on average twice a week to go with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don’t want to give up, but I might be forced to cut back. If anyone else has this ’problem’ it would be great to hear from you or any ideas! :d

Cheers and great site!!
Scoob.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
you know roughly your calorie intake a day and how much you burn when you work out and run ??

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Depending on your build, dipping below 11 stone may not be so bad. As long as you are eating properly,your body will reach its natural weight eventually. It doesn't seem like you are exercising excessively. I'm 6ft 1inch and my weight stabilised at 11 and a half stone, which I think is its natural weight. I'm medium build, so I guess men of my height with a skinny build would naturally be around 10 and a half stone. If you have not significantly changed your diet and/or exercise regime and are still losing weight quite rapidly, you should go see a doctor and make sure there isn't a medical condition messing with your weight.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Along the lines of what JBBury has said... unless your weight is causing you health problems I honestly wouldn't get caught up in the numbers. You seem to be eating sensibly/regularly so I would imagine you're just reaching your natural weight! Enjoy it you lucky lucky man ;)

Besides, 11st is a healthy weight for a 6' bloke? You wouldn't be medically classed as being underweight until you dropped below 9st 10st!! (based on BMI rtings)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yeah, I think unless you feel tired constantly, then loosing a bit of weight is no biggy! You're doing quite a lot of cardiovascular exercise, and that specifically does burn fat, so unless you keep on going until you are feeling ill or your BMI is very low (and remember you should shift the scale a bit because you have a modified lifestyle, ie you probably have more lean mass than the average joe) you should be OK, but y'know... if you're still really worried, it wouldn't hurt to book a 5 min appointment with your GP to chat about it and get all your basic vitals checked :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for that folks, it’s much appreciated! :) I don’t think it’s a medical issue, just as I fine most of the time. I must just be burning slightly more than I’m consuming. I’ll just eat a little more to try and iron it out – damn my bad luck! :) I guess I was worried as a cousin I’d not seen in a while said I’d lost a lot of weight and on weighing myself I’d lost over a stone, but this is over a the best part of a year or so, not over night. It just seemed not a lot of weight for my height and I panicked! I’d like if anything though to put a little weight on, and so does anyone have any recommendations?? I eat over 2000 calories a day, but would any of these protein shakes work, or are there health implications with them? Again, any help would be great!

Thanks again, you’ve put my mind at rest :)

Scoob.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Protein shakes will help build muscle when weight training, as you know, muscle being heavier than fat it will inherently make you weigh a bit more. Of course the theory falls flat on it's face if you're not weight training as you may as well just consume excessive calories to gain your weight....

Running's great for burning calories and losing weight, not so great if you're trying to bulk up though!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
have a look at this website in case you do want to look into protein shakes.
Its cheaper than your highstreet shops, as an example a prolab n-large would be better than the pure protein supplements as this will help gain a little weight if thats what you wanted.www.bodyactive-online.co.uk

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Cakes, chocolate, beer-flavoured rehydration drinks; all come highly recommended by medical experts :d

(well... she SAID she was a doctor...)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts