Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I need to create a 3 month training plan to help me with a military recruitment course early next year.

My primary goal is to build solid muscular endurance in my legs, but I would also like to get my 1.5mile time down as much as possible (currently ~8.40)

I currently *try* to run 30 miles a week - a couple of medium paced 7 milers, a slow 10 miler, a high tempo 5k and a hill sprint session. I have done this for about a year now.

I think my new schedule should have a greater emphasis on speed-work than my current routine , but I am aware that there is a limit in terms of how many high-intensity sessions should be completed in a week.
I would also like to get some 400m and 800m interval sessions in there.

Any advice is much appreciated. I'm no serious runner, and don't really know what I'm doing haha!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi - I would be happy to help.

It looks like you are able to run 1.5 miles at an average pace of around 5m47s/mile.

What time are you looking to achieve?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi! Thanks for any help.

I'd be looking to knock ~20s off that time, so that gives me about 5m34s/mile. Not sure if that is an achievable goal in 3 months?

As I said, I'd also like to up my muscular endurance, because I shall need to be cope with plenty of crawls, burpees, squat jumps etc. I'm not sure if changing my running plan can help with this? I plan to incorporate some bodyweight leg work into my interval rest periods.

EDIT:I should mention, that my current and target 1.5 mile times are assessed as a best effort return having completed 1.5 miles 'out' at 8:20/mile pace.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi -

I think 30 miles is enough in terms of total weekly mileage.

I would recommend 3 key runs -

- a 20 min threshold (note this can be broken down into 4x 5mins with 1min rest)
- an interval session such as 800s or 600s
- a long run (you are already doing 10 miles which is more than enough)

In terms of intensity - the threshold should be around 6.28 per mile, the long run approx. 7:46-8:15 per mile and the intervals just run hard (600m @ 2:13 and 800 @ 2:57).

All other runs to make up mileage should be recovery or easy.

I would recommend cross training if you feel niggles and yes good to put some strength work in a couple of times a week. I like to do squats, burpees, push ups and kettlebell swings etc.

Good luck - let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much. Sounds like a sensible way forward.

Would it be too much to add in 10 100m hill reps per week on top of that lot?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Nothing to add other than to say Kevin's advice above seems spot on to me, just make sure the running in between those key session days is quite easy and i'd alternate each week between doing 800/600s and the hills reps, i think doing both in same week is too much, for me anyway.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes the hill reps could be an alternative to the 600s / 800s. I like 10x 1min and recover back down to 120bpm HR which is a tough session. Your getting 10mins of effort which makes sense versus your 1.5 mile race time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you all very much.

After a couple of weeks trying a few things out, I have the following plan:

Week 1
Monday - 6-8 x 800m intervals (jog 800 between reps)
Tuesday - 7miles easy
Wedsnesday - 10 x 150m hillsprints (walk back down, 30s rest at the bottom)
Thursday - 5miles easy
Friday - 10miles (aiming for ~8min miles)

Week 2
Monday - 5k tempo
Tuesday - 7miles easy
Wedsnesday - 10 x 150m hillsprints (walk back down, 30s rest at the bottom)
Thursday - 10miles (aiming for ~8min miles)
Friday - AM: 5miles easy, PM: mock bleep test

Hillsprints are in there on both weeks because there are a lot of sprint based exercises during other parts of the military physical assessment.
Weekends are a no go; I have a heavy Saturday session and am crippled until Monday!

Does this sound like a good way to progress?
Any criticism welcomed and will be taken on board!

·
Registered
248 Posts
The only comment I would make is that the training is crammed into Monday to Friday and ideally you might be able to space it out over the 7 days keeping 1 full day rest? I assume there is a good reason why you couldn't utilise weekends though.

Good luck and if you are on strava or some other run tracking site I'd be happy to have a look through the sessions etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts