Runners Forum banner

Help my B.M.I. is off the scale

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  brumbear 
#1 ·
Ok then hello all. A returning runner looking for the latest thoughts.

Primarily, running for my personal pleasure and for fitness.

In the interim since I last ran, I have gathered a lot of me in fact there is 18 and a half stones of me now. I want to be down to a reasonable weight quickly but not so quick that I get injured and or fed up of running. Also, I have a big muscle bulk as a residual from my days ( many moons since) as a racing cyclist. I am fully well aware that exercise alone will not reduce my bulk. I would also like to say that when I was last running I got down to my apparently correct weight. This was around 12 stones. Fraankly everyone thought I was auditioning for a role in a holocaust movie. I really did look ill.

If it helps I'm 6'1" tall and have as I said a very big physique.

All help gratefully received. I intend to see how I go and then maybe enter something or other next year.

Cheers
Bear:)

#3 ·
Run for one mile – note down the time – give this initial time a name. For the sake of argument lets call it a PB…. Next time out try to beat your PB. And don’t forget to let everyone know what your PB is …and be sure to ask other runners what their PB is…:p :d

#4 ·
To be honest, I would try losing some of the weight through non weight bearing exercises before you do any road running, or you may damage your knees. I'm 6" 1' too and used to weigh close to 17 stone, and I lost 4 stone through diet and cycling before I took up running. I lost the final 1.5 stone through running and have maintained that weight. I once tried running when I was 17 stone and I could feel the pressure on my knees, which wasn't good. I guess you could try some slow running and see how you feel, but if you get any niggles in your knee don't push it. You really don't want to do any permanent damage.

#5 ·
Hi brumbear.

I'm afraid there's an awful lot of me, too. Mind you, there's over a stone less of me thatn there was back in January, so this running thing is definitely good for helping shrinkage.

That said, JBBury speaks a lot of sense. My legs have taken a hell of a pounding because of my excess weight and I'm pretty sure it's directly contributed to my current injury, so do make sure you take it easy. Listen to your body and make sure you take it easy and rest it plenty. Maybe intersperse the runs with some cycling - it'll help your overall fitness and burn some calories without being too hard on your legs.

Apologies if I'm teaching grandmother to suck egss, in which case ignore me, but have you already started making changes to your diet to help with weight loss? If not, then I'd try doing it at the same time as starting to exercise more. I know these things are not the same for everyone, and I've heard it said many times that you shouldn't make too many changes at once as you'll find it harder to keep them going, but I disagree. I find it much much easier to eat healthily when I'm exercising, and I know a lot of people feel the same. Don't make the mistake I made to start with, though - make sure you're still eating enough to fuel your exercise - it would seem that running is so much harder when you don't have the energy to keep your legs going :rolleyes:

#6 ·
Slowsteve said:
Run for one mile – note down the time – give this initial time a name. For the sake of argument lets call it a PB…. Next time out try to beat your PB. And don’t forget to let everyone know what your PB is …and be sure to ask other runners what their PB is…:p :d
Now you get the idea. You were nearly humorous there for a second. Keep trying.

#7 ·
JBBury said:
To be honest, I would try losing some of the weight through non weight bearing exercises before you do any road running, or you may damage your knees. I'm 6" 1' too and used to weigh close to 17 stone, and I lost 4 stone through diet and cycling before I took up running. I lost the final 1.5 stone through running and have maintained that weight. I once tried running when I was 17 stone and I could feel the pressure on my knees, which wasn't good. I guess you could try some slow running and see how you feel, but if you get any niggles in your knee don't push it. You really don't want to do any permanent damage.
Thanks, this is sound advice. However, what I have started doing first off is "nordic walking". Now that really does put a load on the joints. No probs so far other than the scallywags asking where my skis are.

#8 ·
bagpuddycat said:
Hi brumbear.

I'm afraid there's an awful lot of me, too. Mind you, there's over a stone less of me thatn there was back in January, so this running thing is definitely good for helping shrinkage.

That said, JBBury speaks a lot of sense. My legs have taken a hell of a pounding because of my excess weight and I'm pretty sure it's directly contributed to my current injury, so do make sure you take it easy. Listen to your body and make sure you take it easy and rest it plenty. Maybe intersperse the runs with some cycling - it'll help your overall fitness and burn some calories without being too hard on your legs.

Apologies if I'm teaching grandmother to suck egss, in which case ignore me, but have you already started making changes to your diet to help with weight loss? If not, then I'd try doing it at the same time as starting to exercise more. I know these things are not the same for everyone, and I've heard it said many times that you shouldn't make too many changes at once as you'll find it harder to keep them going, but I disagree. I find it much much easier to eat healthily when I'm exercising, and I know a lot of people feel the same. Don't make the mistake I made to start with, though - make sure you're still eating enough to fuel your exercise - it would seem that running is so much harder when you don't have the energy to keep your legs going :rolleyes:

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

#9 ·
Your BMI is 34.2 which is obove 30 which, in theory makes you obese. However, I am not keen on the BMI scale as it doesn't take into account muscle mass. As you may be aware muscle tissue is heavier than fat. I inform my clients that it's not what they weigh or how they look but how they feel. Be sensible with your weight loss and try something low impact (swimming or cycling) then progress on to running. And good luck:d

#10 ·
As you say you have a large build and you are tall brum, I bet you carry it better than others would at that weight :)

Have you tried WW (don't know what counts as advertising here) I lost a stone with it a few years ago and I've kept it off by using it to maintain my weight. And you can still have pizza on it :d

#11 ·
I'll go along with most of the advice dished out here. My secret weapon for shedding my initial load was setting the treadmill on maximum gradient and walking as fast as I could without breaking into a jog (that way, it saves the knees). Alternatively you need to find a large hill and thumb a lift down each time (going down again does all the damage to the knees you avoided on the way up :( )

#12 ·
zanshin said:
I inform my clients that it's not what they weigh or how they look but how they feel.
Really? :confused: I agree the BMI scale doesn't account for athletes or people with a large muscle mass (I believe the BMI scale renders Johnny Wilkinson Obese?) - but I'd say there were plenty of medical indicators of health that are far more accurate than going on how the person feels... Especially concerning people who just don't see themselves as being 'that fat'.

#16 ·
richardsimkiss said:
Without wanting to sound argumentative, but you would honestly advise the likes of Johnny Vegas (to use him as a well known example) that's he's fine and dandy because he loves life and feels good?

Personally I'd tell him his lifestyle is killing him.
But does he feel good? A consultation would identify his feelings. I am sure that he would admit to any ill feelings or concerns. I think Johnny would be the first to admit that his lifestyle is, indeed killing him:eek: If he didn’t he would only be fooling himself. Someone who feels good and is happy but is overweight is easily motivated, using the feel good factor, to achieve the goal of ideal weight. However, like BMI, “ideal weight” is not an exact science.

On a personal note I am 2st overweight. I can swim 3km+ frontcrawl a session, run non-stop for 60 minutes and I cycle an average of 8 to 10 miles five day a week! My GP is of the same opinion that, as long as I feel good and can do the minimum recommended daily exercise, with no problem my couple of stone excess is of no great concern.

I feel fantastic:d

#17 ·
dimple said:
My OH is classed as mega obese, but there is no fat on him, just 20 years of weight training.
Would he pass the other test, which is a waist measurement?

"For those wanting to measure their waist circumference, increased risk for the over 18s occurs in men whose waist circumference is 94 cm/37 inches or over, and in women whose waists are 80 cm/32 inches or more. The risk is significantly increased at 102 cm/40 inches for men and 88 cm/35 inches for women." That seems quite evil to me lol, a lot of people would perhaps fail that.

I was just wondering if this was inaccurate for weight trainers too? Or whether that's a more accurate test. http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/0-9/4health/food/ove_kids.html

#18 ·
brumrun said:
Would he pass the other test, which is a waist measurement?

"For those wanting to measure their waist circumference, increased risk for the over 18s occurs in men whose waist circumference is 94 cm/37 inches or over, and in women whose waists are 80 cm/32 inches or more. The risk is significantly increased at 102 cm/40 inches for men and 88 cm/35 inches for women." That seems quite evil to me lol, a lot of people would perhaps fail that.

I was just wondering if this was inaccurate for weight trainers too? Or whether that's a more accurate test. http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/0-9/4health/food/ove_kids.html
Interesting I'll give it a go:)

#20 · (Edited)
richardsimkiss said:
Without wanting to sound argumentative, but you would honestly advise the likes of Johnny Vegas (to use him as a well known example) that's he's fine and dandy because he loves life and feels good?

Personally I'd tell him his lifestyle is killing him.
He'd tell you "Thank God For That"

All the advice I've had here has been brilliant. I am running ....belay that, trotting at present. Though I felt good enough to whack out some quick miles ce matin. Knees feel good, but the brain has been calling me for a prat ever since. I shall turn his volume down but make sure his comments are minuted. I'm enjoying it. Actually the worst thing is I cut my left big toe nail a tad close and in my newNew Balance shoes ( Not so good as they used to was...Chris Brasher would have a fit), with a firm toe box, I made it sore.....silly Bear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.