Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
More advice please!

These past two weeks have been pretty tough in work and I have been feeling the pain (metaphorically) when trying to run. I tried a hilly route (only 3miles) last week and was wiped out half way round and had to walk the rest. Next run was torrential rain and called off half way too, then work pressure meant no running for 5 days until tonight. I went on my usual 5K route (if you can call it that after about 2months running:)) and was going well, but slowly. Breathing and heart seemed grand, legs a bit tired but was good to channel frustrations from work into activity.
THEN
at about 2 mile mark got niggle in left hip which progressed into crampy pain. Was bad enough that I couldn't continue to run and had to walk back. Tried to pick pace up several times but 5-6 strides brought the pain back.
I am really frustrated as I was hoping to do a 5K race today but lack of chances to run made me decide not to go, and now all my runs seem jinxed:evil:
BUT I have just discovered the Great Ireland Run next April so something to aim for:)

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
A hilly route will take far more out of you than a level run, and after a 5 day rest a stressfull week it is not a huge surprise that you weren't at your best. As for pain in the leg could general tension and stress not have affected your running adding tension where there previously wasn't any?

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I think you are maybe expecting to much after just a couple of months.

If you miss a few days be ready to step back your training a bit. It will all come good.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I had a bloody awful run last night, I stopped for a walk for a bit and couldn't get going after that - I got home completely dejected and gutted - I'd rested for 3days beforehand and would've thought I'd be full of energy and raring to go!

Probably worth just heading out for a run with no goal other than to make it round in one piece - forget times etc... once you've reminded yourself that you can manage the runs no problem, everything should (hopefully) fall nicely back into place ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts