Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i'm new to this running ultra distances and have entered a charity run of 65miles :eek: for the hero's of Pegasus bridge in ww2 and other charities, Help the Heros, Royal british legion etc etc, anyway I don't really know where to start, I have over a year to prepare as its not till the 4th june 2009 and help on training, nutrition would be greatfully recieved. My experience so far is a sprint triathlon in Sept 07, an adventure race (3mile run, 15mile bike, 3mile run, 1 mile kayak, 3mile run) in Oct 07 and the Bath half this year, kind of winged it round as we had our son born in the new year and training was about the last thing on my to do list!:p

Any help, web adresses or advice most welcome, thank you!!!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Is this 65miles in one day???

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I couldnt imagine covering that kind of distance in a day! :)

Can't offer you any advice but I will wish you the best of luck....

O.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Don't panic... you need to build up very gradually.

Ideally you need a couple of marathons under your belt before moving on to ultras, so your first step will be to look for a marathon to do, maybe in the Autumn.

Then you need to get a marathon training schedule... google 'marathon schedules' and there will be loads. Find one that you can realistically fit around your lifestyle.

Within the schedule you should aim to run one or two half marathons, and maybe a couple of shorter races.

This all sounds a lot but it's important if you want to stay injury free and be fit enough to do the ultra next June.

I have done nearly 30 marathons and 5 ultras... they are not the sort of thing you can 'wing' like you can a half

As for nutrition... If I was you I would look for a good all round book on marathon running, nutrition can be quite a complicated issue... plus a very personal one, for instance I'm vegetarian so some things don't apply or I have to find substitues etc

Keep posting your progress... there's a wealth of experience on here to help you along :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Trinity, most helpful, will keep posting my progress.
Owain, no its not in 1 day,thankfully!! It starts from the airfield the planes took off from at 2pm on the 4th June and the plan is to arrive at the same time as they landed at about 00:16 on the 6th june, so about a da and a half.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Owain said:
Is this 65miles in one day???

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I couldnt imagine covering that kind of distance in a day! :)

Can't offer you any advice but I will wish you the best of luck....

O.

I ran 52.4 miles in one day... 10 hours 15 mins in fact. I don't think I could have done another half marathon on top though :confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts