Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I need to step up my training, had a few bad weeks and am now seriously in need of getting back into my training schedule. I have been considering buying a Garmin, not sure which one (birthday coming up!), I have read a few reports, but would rather get some advice off anyone using one. Is the 305 too complicated (blonde!) or has too many features that I wouldn't use. I have heard that the GPs signal is better on this model??? Not wishing to spend a fortune though, I know that Sweatshop have the 201 at £75, seem to remember S.E. having one of these?

I know many would say just get out there and run, but I have been doing this with my £3.50 sports watch and think I might benefit from a bit more. I am trying to improve my times and structure my training, I find that I stick to things more if I can set myself some goals, I can't join a club as I work shifts and it doesn't work out.

I don't expect a watch to make me do something I can't, but maybe it will help.

help................................................

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I picked up a Forerunner 201 second hand on Ebay and I love it although I haven't used any of the training features yet such as the virtual training partner but it gives me lots of feedback on my pace and distance etc.

GPS is quite sophisticated so even if the signal is weak the Garmin will plot a line between the next available waypoints - for instance I run through a tunnel and it still plotted the route. The basic operation is quite straight forward you turn it on, wait for it to pick up a GPS signal from the satelites, start the timer, run, stop the timer and (this is the important bit) then hold the reset button for 3 seconds until everything resets to zero. You can then download your data onto your PC. Even if you don't do this you can still access the data on your Garmin in the history menu.

I also have a HRM monitor as well, which I think has helped me with my pacing for HM training but with all these gadets you get out of them what you put into them - for me I just love gadgets not very girlie I know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have also got a 201 ( also from eBay about 15 months ago ! ). I love it as i am a bit of a gadget geek - but used in conjunction with software called SportTracks ( free ) it is great.

The best thing ( for me ) about GPS is that it lets me control my pace. As well as telling me how far I have run ( no longer need to drive the routes to measure them ! ) it tells me how fast I am running. I always used to suffer from setting off too fast, but the GPS lets me monitor that now.

I would never be without one now. In fact I am so geeky I recently took it with me on a business trip to Cologne - just so I could get a german map into my training log.

As far as reception goes, I very rarely have problems. Very occassionaly on very cloudy days it takes a while to pick up the satelites - but it always manages in the end.

Richard

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I've read good things about Sportstracks but its not Mac compatible so I use a piece of shareware called IB Running Log - it also interacts with google earth.

Bagpuss if you do get a Forerunner 201 and not the more expensive 205/305 it would be worthwhil investing in a USB-serial adapter

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks S.E. and Rk. good to have the feedback. I like to monitor my pace and distances etc and currently putting in some speedwork and the dreaded hill work, my running partner is very much slower than me and whilst its great to get out together once a week and catch up with the gossip, it doesn't 'push' me enough.

I'll keep doing the research!

Lyn.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Bagpuss I have the 305 and if I can work so can you, and like rkavanagh says it really does make you geeky, there are a lot of things on there that you may not use, but just the gps alone makes it so much easier planning your route. :d

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Twinks, just need to weigh up how much I can justify spending to help my running.
Do you use the virtual training partner?

Lyn.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Bagpuss said:
Thanks Twinks, just need to weigh up how much I can justify spending to help my running.
Do you use the virtual training partner?

Lyn.
I have not used that yet, I would be really miffed if it beat me ha ha, but it's something I am thinking about using :d

It does seem like a lot of money I was the same as you, but once I got my hands on it I won't go anywhere without it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
These here gadget things - do they tell you how fast you are going in real time then? ie can you look down at your wrist and see you are going x miles per hour/ doing x minute miles etc? I don't really understand :confused: I usually map my routes on fetch and that works out how fast I went (or how slow lol) but think it would be great to be able to know at the time...is that how they work?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
They do indeed tell you.

The one I have indicates your overall time, distance and current mileage pace. really handy if you are trying to say .... run 9 minute miles instead of 10.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Where did you pick up this bit of kit Granty.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Bit of good fortune really, my mate who is/was a runner of some pedigree now has shafted knees and just runs every now and then. However, in his years of running has managed to acquire more gadgets than he knows what to go with, and basically when I was starting off he game it to me as long as I went round and fixed his PC.

Best spent 15 mins of my time ever.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
GoSlow said:
These here gadget things - do they tell you how fast you are going in real time then? ie can you look down at your wrist and see you are going x miles per hour/ doing x minute miles etc? I don't really understand :confused: I usually map my routes on fetch and that works out how fast I went (or how slow lol) but think it would be great to be able to know at the time...is that how they work?

Wouldn't be without mine, tells you av HR, av Pace, calories (although I don't take too much notice of those), maximum pace and maximum HR, all the info is downloadable so you can get super geeky with it all :d

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'll ask my mate if he has any more, I know he has a collections of running watches, not sure what he's still got.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Cheers Granty.

Must be time to congratulate your team on their promotion,now I now you wont be playing us.......

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Cheers matey - both my lads had the best time ever (10 and 6) so old enough to understand what was going on.

Cracking day, helped some what that Rotherham were so poor !! :d :embarrassed:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts