Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I am hoping someone has expereince my problem, and can give me some tips to help alleviate the pain.
I managed to finish the Dublin marathon on Monday, although I was in pain after five miles. Firstly I got a pain down the back of my right leg, which subsequently went numb (this has happened before on several occasions). I somehow managed to run through this pain, but at about 8 miles, I began to feel a lot of pain in my toes in both feet , and this required me to stop every mile or so, and undo my shoe to massage my toes. I would like to complete a few more marathons before I hang up my trainers, but feel I need to sort this issue out before I attempt another. Has anyone experienced similar problems?
I would be grateful for any suggestions

thanks


Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
Can you describe the pain? Was it a shooting pain? Pins & needles? Was there any numbness? Have you looked into piriformis syndrome?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is pain in the back of the leg, and a numbness in the foot, accompanied with pins and needles, which is intermittent, but I get pains in my toes almost every time I run more than five or six miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Sounds like Sciatica. That would describe the back of leg pain and numbness but not sure it could affect the foot.

No expert though. See a good physio.

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,493 Posts
could be sciatica, but whatever it is it sounds like a nerve problem rather than muscular, originating in the hip or lower back maybe.

An acupuncturist could help too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
Runners quite often suffer from a form of pseudo sciatica called pirifprmis syndrome. The piriformis is a small muscle in your backside in about 15% of the population the sciatic nerve passes through the muscle - the other 85% I think its quite close by. Anyway the piriformis can become inflamed, tighten and squeeze the sciatic nerve. In sciatica it usually a protusion of one of the discus in the back that irritates the sciatic nerve.

Doyou feel any tight spots in your backside? Good luck with the physio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Piriformis syndrome

Dear Paul you have Piriformis sydrome the re are six hip rotators internal end external , Having just run a marathon they will work overtime the piriformis has been shoked into a severe contraction along with the other muscles in the hip this will effecr the hanstrings and the piriformis will be in a n acute state of inflamation you need to se a good remedial sports therapist or a good sports physio that uses remedial massage and hands on treatment , the likes of ultrasound , megapulse is in my opinion inafective for this injury, give me a ring at the take care injury Clinic in Ulverston at any time and i will give you advice ring 01229 480 422
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes ...I thought it was a hamstring issue .. Some would say I should have gone directly to a physio, but I've not been overly impressed with them in the past, hence this thread...maybe I need to get a new physio.


thanks again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
You need the old elbow in the butt treatment and some decent piriformis stretches as well as strengthening exercises.

My favourite piriformis stretch is a yoga pose call the pigeon pose (but not the avanced version). You crouch down and cross your leg under you as though you were sitting cross legged and extend the other leg behind you then lower your torso down over your leg. If you can get you head to touch the floor. Make sure you also stetch the hip flexors as well.

For strengthening I do clamshells 3 reps of 20 on each side. You can also do some self massage using a golf/tennis/hockey ball. Essentially you sit on it and roll your backside over the ball concentrating on any tender bits.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top