Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I will introduce myself as a newbie as I am really struggling with my jogging at the moment (not quick enough to call myself a runner!!)

I did a 5km last January and was about to start training for a 10km when I got a bad injury and was out for 4 months. I then joined a ladies football team and instead of giving me the opportunity to do more jogging, I have found it harder to run any distance (training is more shuttle runs than distance).

What I haven't mentioned is I have lost 5 stone in the past year but still have another 4 or so to go yet so I am still overweight although alot fitter than I look (or so I think). My times aren't really important to me at the moment as I think I walk quicker than I jog, but we all have to start somewhere dont we!!

Any advice on how I can increase my training from 2 miles to higher would be greatly appreciated.

Nicola

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nicola, firstly, well done you. You don't say how often you train for footie or running. But my advice would be to train 3 or 4 times a week to start off with, this includes footie. It is important to let your body rest between hard training.

I know footie training is hard having played for 20 years, so you should probably rest on the days after that or at the very most go for a very short recovery jog. The long run is important in building up an endurance base (which is what you want to do to start with).

As an example basic training schedule, your week should consist of maybe footie training, a game, a weekend long run and maybe another short run during the week. If your play a full 90 minutes at the weekend it may be better to move your longest run of the week to a Tuesday for example.

Most runners do the long run at the weekend, but it is entirely up to you and how you fit it into your own life. Your long run should be about 3 miles at the moment. This should be run very slowly, much slower than you think, almost uncomfortably slow. The other runs during the week should be run at whatever pace you feel comfortable with. If you feel energetic go and run fast, if you feel sluggish slow it down a bit.

Here is the really important bit though, persevere, we were all in your position once, also important is the 10% rule. This is never add more than 10% of the previous weeks distance onto subsequent weeks. For example if your weekly mileage total is 10 for one week, add in an extra mile the next. This could be adding a full mile to your long weekend run or adding 2 half miles to mid week runs. It is important that you don't add more than that as you will risk injury. Keep a log of your running and other training. Use the training log on this site, it helps to keep you motivated, join in the banter on the site as well, it also helps to keeps you motivated.

Good luck, keep us updated with your progress.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome Nicola.

Boab has beaten me to it!

The only thing I'd add is that if you can, in due course, find a local running club to join. running with others will keep you motivated and club runs will help you increase your stamina, speed and mileage.

Well done so far!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts