Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need some running tips!!! - I signed up for the Plymouth 1/2 Marathon and have never done anything like this before!

Does anyone have any helpful tips that I can use to get me through the next 16 weeks of training!!!

Jo
x

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi Snail lady,

have a look at this

http://jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html - might find it useful, I think it goes up to about 17 weeks or so.

Have you run before, if so how far, if you are starting from scratch remember to build up slowly, get some good trainers and in this weather if really helps if you have someone else to run with.

All the best.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF!

Granty gives sound advice..I'd add that if you can you join a local running club to help keep you going and for support.
Also get your running shoes from a proper running shop...not from the likes of JJB.
Assuming all goes well with your training try to do at least two 12 mile runs before the race.
It's a good idea too to enter some shorter races before hand to get used to race running and all that goes with it...ie pre-race prep.

What made you enter the Plymouth 1/2M?
All the best

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Jothesnail,
So am I and it will be my first time I'm also following Geoff Galloways plan but you don't have to start at the beginning just start at the point that you've reached on your long Sunday runs - take Steve's advice as well and consider joining a running club there are 3 in Plymouth.

I'm assuming you went on this months Brooks run and have joined the forum in response to Dottys email?

Steve - I assume Jo entered the Plymouth Half as lives in Plymouth - have you ever run it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Helpful Hints

Hi

Thanks for the website Steve, I will read it when I am on the treadmill later!!!! - I haven't run in any races before, so this will be a real challenge!! -

I wasn't aware of the Brooks race!! - I have only lived in Plymouth for just about 12 months, so wasn't aware of the other runs that were going on!!

It was probably a good thing that I only knew about the 1/2 marathon, or I would have set my goal at something less!!

I have a treadmill and a cross trainer at home, so I don't have any excuses not to train if the weather is bad!!

Thanks for the tips, I need to buy some decent trainers this weekend, so I can hopefully go out running.- do you have any reccomendations?

Jo
x

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Jo,
Best thing you can do is get down to Frank Elfords on Mayflower Street. Take your old trainers and tell them you are training for the Plymouth Half alternatively if you can get to Launceston - I'd go to Lauceston sports they have a treadmill and do a gait analysis - Frank's don't do this they just look at your shoes.

The Brooks runs are not a race they are a training event held on the first Sunday of every month up at Burrator and as you are training for the Plymouth half you will really benefit from them. They split you up into ability groups so don't worry about not being fit enough - you can find more information here:
http://www.city-runs.co.uk/html/plymouth.html#map

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi again,

I have had a couple of Asics (always last years model - much cheaper !!) and never had any blisters or anything else, I chose those myself and was advised by someone to always get a size bigger that you actually are.

However, as you are starting from scratch it might be best to go to a running shop and get someone to check you out and 'hand' select a pair to suit your running style.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Asics are a really popular brand with many runners but I'm a Brooks girl myself. Some people get problems with blisters in Ascis.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with all of the above, come to Burrator on the first sunday of the month (about 0830/0900) there will be lots of friendly runners of various abilities ready to offer support and advice. Remember, weather is not an excuse!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts