Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I need help on choosing a shoe. I've been running for quite a while but only in the later years could I begin affording the real running shoes. I currently own an Adidas Savage, which is worn out now. There are quite a few sports shops in my small country but the problem is that the owners and helpers don't really have an idea about running!
I am around 5ft10, weighing 85kg and do alot of physical training other than running. I have a good muscular build, so I'm looking for something with alot of cushioning for my weight. My feet are the average, not flat footed or anything.
When I bought the Savage I was limiting my funds, but now i'm looking for something serious. Please send me any suggestions

Thanks and regards
Matthew

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
dwarrior said:
I'm looking for something with alot of cushioning for my weight. My feet are the average, not flat footed or anything. When I bought the Savage I was limiting my funds, but now i'm looking for something serious. Please send me any suggestions.Thanks and regards,Matthew
Hi Matthew, welcome to the forum. If the sports shops in your 'little country' know little or nothing about running you could have a problem choosing a running shoe. You'll need to go elsewhere. They aren't something you can buy on the internet. It's important to try them on, walk, or even run around in them before paying good money and leaving the shop. Lots of people advocate having a 'gait analysis'. I've never had one and never had problems, so it's up to you.
Also, if you've a neutral foot, I'm not convinced you require a shoe with 'a lot of cushioning', regardless of your weight. Contrary to most people's opinions I'm one of the minority who believe our feet and legs supply the majority of cushioning needed to keep us free of injury. Correct running technique - landing on the ball of the foot with the knee slightly bent - is more important than expensive running shoes with vastly built up heels. I've run marathons in old Adi-Racers with paper thin soles and suffered nothing more than the odd blister.
I hope I haven't confused you even more! Good luck in your hunt for the perfect shoe.
Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
i agree cushioning is everything, and dont think asics is the best. i've tried on all of them, lovely to walk in them, but after 2 minutes jumping around i can feel my toes and thats not a good sign.

i always take the new shoes to the gym and do 30 minutes run in them, during that time most problems will come out, and no dirt on the shoes, so you can take it back if you dont like it, and nobody will notice that you've used it!

:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shoes that fit and function!!

I go to the Sweatshop in York. The staff there are fantastic and are keen to assist you. Their level of expertise and knowledge is professional and highly technical but not too over the top. I recommend them over others as they really are personable and make me feel important when I go in. I purchase all my shoes there because I feel confident they are listening to my needs and will stand behind their shoes. I used to go to jjb or order on line and found out I was wrecking my feet by buying off the shelf or from an uninformed clerk. Have a chat with them...it doesn't cost to speak to them about your needs and there is no hard sale. They are really helpful. Chris:cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts