Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Crikey Rob, sorry to hear that so close to your run aswell.

I would personally rest, or at best lessen your miles, I am too running a half this Sunday and my schedule for this coming week is:-

Monday - rest
Tuesday - 3 miles
Wednesday - 4 miles tempo
Thursday - 3 miles
Friday - 2 miles
Saturday Rest

I would say that whatever mileage you do this week would probably have little impact on your race pace now, as all the hard work has been done, so don't be hard on yourself as the race is the goal so don't blow it now by sticking stead fast to your schedule, as difficult as you might find this.

Is the pain on the bone of the shin or is it slightly to the side as it may be muscular?

Good Luck and hope all goes well

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
If your not feeling too good Rob don't feel bad about resting this week. All your speed and endurance will come from what you've been doing for the past 12 weeks - not this weeks training. Better to be rested and feel fresh for the race.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Rob now how you are feeling I'm suffering with sore shins as well and have a 10 mile race the week after yours. Make sure you have a couple of days rest inbetween each run and maybe try some shin supports.

Maybe switch to swimming this week. Voltoral gel or ibuprofen gel rubbed into the shins 3 or 4 times a day really helps to ease the inflammation. Make sure you also ice your shins after a run.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Rob, it sounds like you have shin splints, which is probably due to increasing mileage. You should probably rest as Dan suggests. You cannot improve your fitness this week, better to taper your efforts so you're fresh for the weekend. If you do feel the urge to run I would try and do so on grass or dirt tracks, as this lessens the impact on your shins. Also 5, 5 & 8 miles the tues-thursday before your race could leave you very heavy legged if you're not a high mileage runner. A couple of easy runs tues & thurs would leave you much fresher. I wouldn't run any more than 50-60% of your normal weekly mileage this week including the half. Have a great race, and post a thread to let us know how you did.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Icing really helps - make sure you do this after each run

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Rob said:
And yes, it is the Redcar Half that I'm doing on Sunday. I will definitely let you know how it goes. Thanks again, much appreciated :d
Rob
I've done the Redcar half a couple of times, it's a good race. Although last year it was bloody freezing and at the end the free gift was an orange! My fingers were so numb I could barely hold it never mind peel it!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Rob said:
Thanks for all your replies - some helpful advice there and, as much as I was tempted to get back out and run again this evening, I've bowed to all your superior knowledge! The pain has almost disappeared from the front of my shins today and seems to be mainly centered around the side muscle area now on just one side, so it should feel even better by tomorrow. I think I'll go with the 3,4,3 mile routine Tues - Thurs (Twinkle Toes). And yes, it is the Redcar Half that I'm doing on Sunday. I will definitely let you know how it goes. Thanks again, much appreciated :d
Rob

Best of luck with it Rob :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Rob,
It's always tempting to do "just one more run" before a race but if you have trained properly then tapering in the final week(s) is part of that training. TT 's final week plan is on the button....but don't try to push yourself in these runs, just turn the legs over.

Have a good 'un Sunday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts