Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, my running partner who has been running with me from the start seems to be losing interest. I always felt that running with her kept me going, I need to get up and get out on my own, but it is going to be hard. Normally run first thing in the morning, so tomorrow I am going to get up and go for it on my own, just hope I can motivate myself to do it.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Karen

Stick with it, I quite like running on my own being by myself with my own thoughts.

Try to encourage your friend to stick with it, perhaps vary the times when you run getting up every morning to run isn't always appealing perhaps try some evening runs together.

Let us know how you get on, but please don't give up.

TT :d

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I'd say give her a big slap, and then think about joining a running club :d If you're really feeling like you're not ready for that, then carry on as your are for a while... training alone I find gives you time to clear your head of daily stresses etc, and also means you can focus on the goal of your run a lot better :)

Certainly don't give up, it's not the end of the world... she's probably holding you back anyway :p

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yeah, I love running on my own - it's only very rarely I go running with someone else.

No doubt she'll realise at some point in the future that she's missing out and will wanna join you again, so worry not!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Karen Edmunds said:
Help, my running partner who has been running with me from the start seems to be losing interest. I always felt that running with her kept me going, I need to get up and get out on my own, but it is going to be hard. Normally run first thing in the morning, so tomorrow I am going to get up and go for it on my own, just hope I can motivate myself to do it.
I don't know anyone that regrets having taken up running - but I bet there are loads out there who wish they hadn't given up. You've done the hard part by starting - you'd be crazy to give up now.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have to echo what the others say, don't give up just because your partner seems to be. You might be surprised how much you enjoy running on your own. Maybe you could tempt her out for just one run a week still, and go out on your own the other days. The only trouble with that, of course, is that you'd soon be leaving her behind with all the extra running you're doing!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Just keep going.
Your running partner may come out with after a break but if not don't worry...you are doing it for your own reasons anyway.

Can you join a club? ( Think I may have asked you this before so sorry if I have!!)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, I am really determined to carry on running, and like you all say once I get used to running on my own I will be okay. I prefer running first thing in the morning, as dont think I would do it if I had to go out after being in work all day. :d

·
Registered
664 Posts
Been running for just over two years now, all my training is on my own. As others have said Karen it is great for clearing your head and generally destressing. I run home from work 3 times a week and find it a brilliant way of getting rid of the tensions and worries of the day.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I always have run on my own. Being Hard of Hearing means that I can't run with my aid in (the sweat eventually stops it working). So I have many very pleasant runs with only my ipod for company (obviously as loud as it will go)

I ran with company once, it was a nightmare. When they wern't trying to engage me in conversation, they were stopping for breath and generally holding me back.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I ran on my own and found it a bit weird at first when I joined a club and had people running with me.

I now do all my long runs on my own at the weekend but often run with others at my club. I like the company on club nights, but there it does feel good when you have completed a hard run and you know you motivated yourself to keep going.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well my alarm is set for 6am tomorrow so will get up early and go for my run before work. Thanks everyone, for your words of encouragement ;)

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I've only ever ran on my own not sure how I'd cope with company. I'd either be annoyed at them for holding me up or struggling to keep up. I did once run with one of Mrs Squints sisters and ran 5 paces behind till she realised what I was doing!! ;)

Squint

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I got up at six and went out, I hadn't run for a week, and I must admit I did find it quite hard. I didn't seem to have any energy, and felt quite breathless and even Cheritons tip of holding my head up didn't seem to help much. I have been very stressed over the last few weeks so maybe that isn't helping, but at least I went out. I didn't do as much as I would have liked, my mind wanted to do it but my body didn't want to play!!! Maybe I will try one evening and see if that is any easier, if I have a good lunch and go out when I get home from work at 5pm and see if there is a difference. I need to carry on running, because I do enjoy it but also I think it will help me get through life at the moment. :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Good for you Karen the hardest part is getting out and you did that today, don't be too hard on yourself, you will have better days, although you don't sound put off which is a good sign. :d

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Good for you Karen. Is it possible for you to run home from work? This may help motivation as you have to do it to get home also it stops you getting home being distracted by something and not going out again.

Squint

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Squint, I only work around the corner from where I live, so it wouldn't be worth me running home from work, plus I work in an office and normally wear smart clothes and heels which would mean getting changed so it is easier for me to walk home and get changed and then go straight out. The park is across the road from where I live, which is where I run along by the river. I love running, just wish I could get a bit more energy to get myself going, I do have an underactive thyroid gland, which was diagnosed about five years ago, so do take thyroxine daily, dont know if this makes any difference.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Running in a business suit and high heels!! It could be the new beach volley ball. Fair point though. I work 30 miles from home and am slowly building up to running that.

Not too sure about the thyroid stuff, but general fitness and being healthier can only help, I think everyone suffers a bit with not having the energy to run to start with. For me now I don't have the energy to not run, I find I have much more energy because of it I don't know how I would cope without it now.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts