Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm new to running. I've just entered my first run, and training is going really well. However, I'd like to purchase a good pedometer to measure my distance run, could anybody out there recomend a quality pedometer? Something long lasting and acqurate?

Ed

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Ed

Welcome to RF

Good for you entering a race and good luck.

As for good pedometer, cheap option you could use mapmyrun.co.uk or expensive Garmin watch which does everything from HR, Spd, distance etc.

The Nike+ I have no experience of but some people have found them inacurate.

Depends what you want from it really.

TT

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
i'd either go for the cheap option of mapmyrun.com, where you trace the route you've ran onto a map online (and it'll tell you the total distance), or one of the more expensive options of a Garmin GPS device (e.g. one of the Garmin Forerunner series) or I tihnk Polar do a Speed/Distance footpod that i've heard is quite good (though never tested).

I think by the nature of how they work, pedometers aren't particularly accurate. But as a cheaper option than the Garmin's they'll give you a rough idea on what you're doing ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
richardsimkiss said:
i'd either go for the cheap option of mapmyrun.com, where you trace the route you've ran onto a map online (and it'll tell you the total distance), or one of the more expensive options of a Garmin GPS device (e.g. one of the Garmin Forerunner series) or I tihnk Polar do a Speed/Distance footpod that i've heard is quite good (though never tested).

I think by the nature of how they work, pedometers aren't particularly accurate. But as a cheaper option than the Garmin's they'll give you a rough idea on what you're doing ;)
Thanks for the advice! I've just purchased the Garmin Forerunner 101 Wrist-Mounted GPS!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Well done newbyrunner.

You wont regret it................. thumbs_up.gif

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
I use Mapometer or mapmyrun. Did use a cheap pedometer and it was cr*p to be honest

1 - 6 of 6 Posts