Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Im looking for some advice please you lot.

As you know I have only been running 1/2 and full marathons since I started running in January, I guess I went about it the wrong way, going for long distance first but thats the way it has happened :)
No I am interested in getting some PBs for 5 and 10k runs but Im not sure how to approach it, all my pacing has been for approx 2 or more hour runs, I could run a 10k at 1/2 marathon pace but then I would still feel fresh legged and know that I didnt push myself.

Last weekend I ran 7 miles in 1 hour (this was at 1/2 marathon pace since it was a 1/2 marathon I was running) so for 6.2 miles I could come in sub 1 hour without to much effort, but how fast could I go?

There is a 10k run this Friday which I fancy taking part in but I don't want to shoot off and then fade quickly near the end. I usually use the first 20 - 25mins of a run as my warm up but this could cost me time if only running for sub 1 hour. Oh my head hurts!!!!!

I think this thread is becoming a bit of a rabble on to myself so I will leave it at that, if you can pick out anything from the above that you might be able to answer, please do :)

O.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi owain,
I've just ran 7 this morning in 1hr 2mins. My last 2 10k's have been 51 mins and my half pb is 1.57, that's my best so far. Given your recent races and your recent half marathon time I'd say you should be able to go sub 50 - 48/49 mins?

The other thing I meant to mention was that I'd set my initial target pace on the Garmin at 7.45 with a sub 50 in mind. As much as I tried to keep pace, there were 2 or 3 climbs which slowed me down and my target time drifted towards the last 5k. got another one in two weeks time so I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Well, Im looking for some advice please you lot. No I am interested in getting some PBs for 5 and 10k runs but Im not sure how to approach it, all my pacing has been for approx 2 or more hour runs, I could run a 10k at 1/2 marathon pace but then I would still feel fresh legged and know that I didnt push myself. There is a 10k run this Friday which I fancy taking part in but I don't want to shoot off and then fade quickly near the end. O.
It's a bit late to start training for a 10K this Friday! But for future reference I recommend you you do some 3 minute (or 800m) interval training to improve your 5K and 10K times. It's easiest to do it on a track (though a bit boring) but you could incorporate intervals into your runs out to Dalgety Bay (or wherever) if it's reasonably flat. Just run three minutes hard then stop and gaze at the wonderful scenery for three minutes before starting off again. Just do four to begin with and gradually work up to ten. I did mine along the banks of the River Wharfe in the Yorkshire Dales which was quite nice. I've also done 800m reps on the track which is an even more efficient way of improving 10K speed. It's hard but there was usually a club mate with me to share the pain. The trick is not to start off too fast. Your last one should be as quick as your first. Right, I'm away back to bed. It's National Siesta Day!
Cheers!

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
what sort of time do you do for 10k Owain?

Warm up prior to the start. Don't go off too hard, see how your feeling after say six /eight k focus on picking off some runners ahead, build to the finish,and push hard if theres a chance of picking up a place or two in the sprint to the line .

If you haven't raced a 10k before use the first one to discover your own ability .

You'll know at the end if you could have given more at certain points in the race .

Good luck with it !!

I'm sure you'll let us know how it all went !;)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ye, I only just found the 10k run on the web last night so thought I would maybe give it a go. Will look further a head as well and see what other 10k runs are around so I can do proper training for it :)

Thanks guys for the advice.

Fox, you said about running and then looking at the scenery, is that a 3min fast pace and 3min slow or 3min stop dead?

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Well you've got a sound endurance base, but we have NO idea what speed you're capable of! Maybe try running a 5k in training to see what you can manage, that'll give us a better idea of what you could manage in a race. In training obviously it doesn;t matter so much if you 'blow up' as there's no pressure on you, you can always walk home and try again another day ;)

For pacing though, practice makes perfect. Based on your current Half Mara PB, my little race time predictor speadsheet suggests a 10km time of 52mins... though this assumes no bias towards speed or endurance.

Maybe set your garmin up to pace you at around 8:20/mi and see if you can keep that up for a 5mile tempo run? if it's easy then you could look at going faster?

As for your warm-up, just go for a 5-10min jog, this should hopefuly be sufficient :)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what sort of time do you do for 10k Owain?
I'm sure you'll let us know how it all went !;)
Erm, not sure, never really timed myself for a 10k run, my time while running the full marathon was 1hr 7mins, but as I said, in my 1/2 marathon I covered 7mins in the hour so my pace could be faster yet for a 10k run.

You know me so well, of course I will let you all know how I did :) Whether you want to know or not :)

O.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't keep up with your posts, I reply to one and 2 others follow! :)

The problem I have with my garmin is it looses signal a lot on my normal routes so don't think it will keep a pace. I could be wrong, not played with many of the features on my garmin.

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
blimey, only just spotted this 10k you speak of is friday! All you can realistically hope to do is just run it and see what happens. Pick up the pace from 7-8k onwards if you still feel fresh.

If you want to challenge yourself, set off at 8:00/mi pace (~5:00/km) and see how you go... you may be struggling towards the end, or you may find you've got a but more to give.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
yeah the garmins aren't ideal to pace yourself from anyway I guess... they don't allow for teh fact that you might be running up/down a bloody great slope!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
It's a bit late to start training for a 10K this Friday! But for future reference I recommend you you do some 3 minute (or 800m) interval training to improve your 5K and 10K times. It's easiest to do it on a track (though a bit boring) but you could incorporate intervals into your runs out to Dalgety Bay (or wherever) if it's reasonably flat. Just run three minutes hard then stop and gaze at the wonderful scenery for three minutes before starting off again.
Structured fartleks - I like it.

Is it still alright if course is not flat or is flat better ?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Fox, you said about running and then looking at the scenery, is that a 3min fast pace and 3min slow or 3min stop dead? O.
It means three minutes fast and three minutes complete recovery, whether that is stopping dead, walking, or a very slow jog. Personally I stop dead - but I'm older than you!
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Rev... I would imagine the intervals allow you to work on leg turnover speed and maintaining a steady pace throughout, the flatter the ground the better from that point of view.

Of course we're ultimately getting the body to work harder for short periods of time, so a not-so-flat course would still help to improve strength which would help improve times.

Please correct me if you feel otherwise Runningfox!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Structured fartleks - I like it. Is it still alright if course is not flat or is flat better ?
Three minute intervals is a fairly hard workout, so the flatter, the better. Where the ground is not flat I'd suggest running fast for no more than a minute, then jog for as long as it takes to recover. You can make these one minute runs into 'acceleration' runs, starting off by lengthening your stride, gradually speeding up until you're almost flat out for the last ten seconds or so.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
ok, thanks.

my local park is hilly so i'll try intervals tomorrow with 1 minute intervals with 2 minute recovery.

the streets are flat but i cannot really do intevals there.

hopefully i'd last for 30 minutes with 5 minutes before and after for warmup and recovery.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
ok, thanks. my local park is hilly so i'll try intervals tomorrow with 1 minute intervals with 2 minute recovery. hopefully i'd last for 30 minutes with 5 minutes before and after for warmup and recovery.
Don't overdo it, or too many, or try to do them too fast. Keep it enjoyable and go home thinking to yourself "By 'eck, that felt good".
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts