Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i said i wasnt interested in running any races but here I am!

Just started running and I'm enjoying it although its Primarily a means to an end for me as its not my main hobby.

Could anyone give some advice on a program for me to get prepared for the 10k on the 7th September?

I currently only run either 1.5 miles as fast as possible for me (appx 11 min and working on it) or 3 miles with an average of 9 min miles which is quite comfortable but not quite easy!

I train with weights 3-4 times per week so structuring my running round this and the heavy leg work might be tricky. Im not one for slacking though so i will always make sure I get it done!

So...that said...I dont even know where to start with a program! I tend to just go out and do as i fancy which probably isnt the proper way top do things :rolleyes:

SJ

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
You have about 13 weeks to race day...plenty of time!

Why not start with 3 runs a week for the first month...one speed session, one steady run and one slow longer run.
For speed session do a fartlek session...do short warm up...and then using lamp posts as markers run hard to one lamp post and very slow to next one...repeat say 6/8 times to start with..then cool down.
Steady run would be your 9 mile pace...do 2.5m
Slow run would be 9:30 to 10min pace but of 3 to 3.5 miles..for the first month.

For next 2 months do 4 runs a week...the extra run being another steady/easy...but not slow.. run.

Increase mileage by no more than 10% per week.

In place of speed sessions youi could try hill sessions...run hard up and jog down..6/8 reps.

Obviously others will have different ideas!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I did the 10km race in 2006 and had mainly been doing one speed session and one longer run each week, as I was going to the gym 2-3 times a week.

Runner's World have a 3 day a week schedule here - its eight weeks long. This could give you 4-5 weeks of building up to three runs a week as well as your three gym sessions.

Alternatively, if you're feeling energetic you could maybe do the interval sessions on the treadmill in the gym, for example, on the day you do chest. As you'll already be warmed up, you probably wouldn't have to warm up for these sessions as much as the program suggests. This would give you an extra day of rest during the week too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts