1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am training to join the royal marines and need to improve my running,
im currently running a 7 min mile and need to get it faster,
my weekly training routine is;

sun - 6 mile run 1st mile warm up 65% then 3 miles 88% heart rate then 2 mile 75% hr.
mon - 30 min circuit, then same as above
tues - rest
wed - same as monday
thurs - cirucit, swimming
fri - circuit, 4 mile run 79% then 2x2 itervals at best effort usually around 94% hr
sat - rest

i only have a month to improve,
any help would be really appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
How much scope do you have for moving things around? Are you tied to training on certain days?

My concern would be that you've got a hard run on sunday, then on monday you're following it by and even harder session, by tuesday your legs must be begging for mercy!

What's your target distance? I mean are you training to complete a certain distance in a certain time to pass an assessment? or are you just wanting to be able to run further/faster?

Sorry for all the questions... to keep it simple I'd say mayeb try some speedwork sessions with high speed reps, and maybe a longer steady paced run. But I'd like to try and help further if I can, hence the questions ;)

Take it easy bud! :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers for reply i dont mind questions atall, i am flexible on my days thats just how ive worked it out, im open to suggestions, im trainin for a 3 day course which involes a 3 mile run in under 22 mins a bleep test to level 13 and a series of other body strentgh tests, and thats just day one. i have practised all of these tests and passed, i just want to get faster for the 3 miler, the reason i run 6 miles is to compensate the beastin you get off the marines before you start the 3 miles, which leaves you half dead.
cheers for any replys

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
it may be worth reversing the latter running intensities, so start off in a warm-up @ 65%, move up yo 75%, then finish @ 88%... hopefully training your body to push on when it's tired.

the bleep test is essentially a VO2 Max test, so will test your cardio system rather than your running ability (though the two do sort of go hand in hand)...

definately worth running some shorter (but faster) efforts to help with your three mile time... 0.5mile intervals would be a good bet.

Oh, lastly, make sure you rest up properly in the week leading up to the assessment. No point in beasting yourself in that last week as you won't notice any fitness improvements from it until after the assessment - you'd be FAR better off cutting your exercise load a lot, and just make sure you're well fuelled and rested :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeh that makes better sense, so if i worked it i run 6 miles as you said, the run after 4 miles intervals/fartlek, then 6 mile again as above, then another 4 miles interval/fatrlek
a week? or is that still too much? what do you think the chances of making 6 min mile pace in that amount of time? sorry for all the questions ive only been running since february and its been rattlin my brain whether im doing too much speed work, and wanting too much too soon.
cheers

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It depends really... I mean i'm sure you could run 6min/mile now, just not for the whole 3 miles! lol.

If you're current PB for 3miles is 21mins flat out, and you've tried it a few times, then dropping to 6min/mile in a month is going to be pretty difficult. If this was your first 3mile timed attempt, you maybe be able to knock a minute or so off with better pacing etc?! the difference between an 18min and a 21min 3miles is quite a bit - you'll be able to improve undoubtedly, but unless you're underperforming atm, I wouldn't be aiming to knock 3mins off in 4weeks...

Best of luck :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts