Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been running now for nearly a year, I feel I can comfortably run 6-7 miles and usually do around 3-5 miles every other day and abit more at the weekend.

My brother got a job at a gym so he got me free membership so ive now been going there but ive started to have a problem with my lower leg. I have been running on the treadmill alot now while at the gym and have probably increased what I do too much but im not sure if the problem is shin splints as last time I had that the pain felt like it was in the bone and at the front of the shin. This time the pain in on the inside of my right leg and about 5 finger widths above my ankle. If im walking etc its fine but its really tender to touch and if im sitting still then it aches like growing pains. It doesnt really hurt when running or anything I can just feel it and know its there but it really hurts if I touch it.

I spoke with the gym instructor who said its either shin splints or tendonitis (sp?) but looking at tendonitis that appears to be the back of the leg and shin splints the front whereas this is at the side.

If anyone could help id appreciate it.

PS I have been tested for proper running shoes etc.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi technium

Sorry to hear about this, it might be best to get it checked out through a physio, my sister has recently had a lay off from running due thinking she may have shin splints but one visit to physio has proved it is a muscle problem which he has given stretches for her to do and she is able to get back running.

Hope this helps.

TT:d

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Could be one of the deep calf muscles if it's on the inside of your shin bone. Shin splints doesn't tell us much as a term so it's useful to try and identify the specific muscle or area affected. Make sure you do a variety of stretches for the calves. I only mention this because I've had trouble with my soleus muscle. Google can be useful under the circumstances, although self-diagnosing can be pretty scary :p

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your advice so far.

is there a website which shows stretches for the lower leg as the only one I do is where you put one foot in front of the other and lean forward so your back leg feels a stretch.

Looking on wikipedia the problem could be the tibialis anterior muscle but its definately at the side where the problem is and where its really tender to touch, everywhere else its fine.

I might ask at our gym too if they have a physio.

thanks so far.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Apparently the biomechanics of running on the road and running on a treadmill are slightly different. (I read this somewhere so it must be true!) Could be the reason. Might be worth looking into.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
sounds like shin splints, which to be crude, is an over-use injury... so either you've piled on the mileage pretty quickly, or your body's not happy with something which is stopping it from adapting to the training load and therefore giving you grief. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts