Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in training for my first Race for Life in July. I have been doing quite a bit of running in the gym and once a week with a running club (about 4 miles..half kills me !) I went out yesterday and did a couple of miles road running.. and everything was fine.. Just been out and done 3miles road running.. came back, had a bath and now everytime i try to walk I get pain in my right knee... what have I done ??!!

Any advise greatly appreciated....:( :confused: :mad:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Ice your knee, take some ibuprofen (if you can) and rest for a couple of days you may find it will sort itself out.

Common knee conditions amongst runners are runners knee and something called ITBS. Does it hurt going up or down stairs?

I always tend to have rest days inbetween my runs or you could alternate sessions with road and other surfaces.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advise... i have now iced it... and if I sit still it doesnt hurt.. but when I walk and if I go up and down stairs it does.. not as much as it was but it feels like if I move to quick it will kill me !! not sure that makes sense !!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
If running in the gym means treadmill, it could be a good idea to skip it until the kness get better.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Dawnie,
Where is the pain is it at the outside of the knee, under the knee cap, at the back of the knee? Does it hurt more waking upstairs or more downstairs?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its the inside of the knee... and hurts more coming down stairs than going up..... got me bag of peas on it again now :(

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
hmmm... I think S.E.'s advice is good... It's beginning to sound like an inflammation of the ligaments....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys I will lay off the running for a bit, its so frustrating though.. I'm struggling to get my speed up anyway and could do without this set back:mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts