Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's the story;

been doing an average of 10-15miles a week for a while now but over the last two weeks i have upped this to 20-25miles as i'm doing my first half-marathon in 5 weeks time (only done 10k's up to now)

so i have been doing what a lot of folks seem to do which is aiming for a long run on a sunday but my problem is that i can't seem to get beyond 9-10 miles without my body failing on me. i think it may be because i am not taking on any water and my new, longer distances demand rehydration. could that be it?

any ideas or suggestions? was mega-pissed off y'day as i felt reasonably OK at 8 miles mark but within 10mins or so i had to stop, about 1.5m short of my intended finishing point. grrrrr.....:mad:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I suspect you've increased mileage too quickly...but note the proximity of the 1/2m race.

I'd suggest you do Sunday runs of 9, 10, 11 and 12 over next 4 weeks with the race on the following Sunday...go slow and drink water/juice even if it's cool/wet.

Try to do a 7 mile run midweek plus a speed/hill session too.

What race are you doing?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its the Great Scottish Run in Glasgow on Sep 7.

believe me, going slow is not a problem! evolution moves quicker than i do.

i'm currently doing two 10k's and one 5k midweek then having two rest days before the long run on the sunday. i tend to use the midweek 5k as a speed session i.e. thats the one where i worry about going faster every week.

i feel great and the increased mileage is not causing any problems in terms of aches and pains but i just want to be able to go beyond 9 miles on a sunday.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Have you tried using a heart rate monitor? I found it a great help to get the right pace for a long run. I used to do all of my runs (long and short) with only a small variation in pace, but now, using the heart rate monitor, my long runs are WAY slower than my midweek efforts.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It's hard to build endurance quickly... it's just not how it works :(( The increased training mileage may be taking more out of you than you realise and hence you;re struggling with your longer runs. personally I wouldn't do my longest run the week before a race if you've increased mileage by that much... maybe 10,11,12,9 on your remaining weekends? Just my opinion of course...

With the increase in training load, make sure you're properly rested for teh event by tapering in your final week or so. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i was planning to only do a very limited mileage in the last week prior to the race. maybe just a few 5k's to keep me ticking over.

my training plan is complicated by the fact that 2 weeks before the race i am going to manchester for a long-planned reunion with mates from all over the UK and beyond that i used to go raving with in the late 80's/early 90's (god I'm old!). This will not be what you'd call ideal race-preparation!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i wouldn't bother with speedwork sessions at such an early stage...

you would be better off running longer distances until you can run the distance you're racing...

i have never run as far as a half-marathon and have been running over 20miles per week for over six months so be realistic with your goals and don't expect miracles...

it will be hard but best of luck with the training...

·
Registered
16 Posts
here's the story;

been doing an average of 10-15miles a week for a while now but over the last two weeks i have upped this to 20-25miles as i'm doing my first half-marathon in 5 weeks time (only done 10k's up to now)

so i have been doing what a lot of folks seem to do which is aiming for a long run on a sunday but my problem is that i can't seem to get beyond 9-10 miles without my body failing on me. i think it may be because i am not taking on any water and my new, longer distances demand rehydration. could that be it?

any ideas or suggestions? was mega-pissed off y'day as i felt reasonably OK at 8 miles mark but within 10mins or so i had to stop, about 1.5m short of my intended finishing point. grrrrr.....:mad:

I have found the old fashioned method of L.S.D. (Long,slow distance) SUITS ME SIR :d.....my thresold certainly in the summer (said loosely):rolleyes: is 7-8 miles and I am gagging for a drink ...funnily enough off to JJB this week to have a look at water carry belts etc. :p

I find Isostar or similar suits me better than water/juice...good luck :idea:

MRM:cool:

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I'm doing the Great Scottish Run too, and I'm only going to be putting in one run over ten miles before the race.

I ran the Monklands Half back in May and didn't go over ten miles at all when training for it and still managed to finish the race. I was four minutes of my PB but still enjoyed the race.

I think Steve' mileage progression is a pretty sensible build up over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
excellent stuff folks, thanks a lot

good luck in sept grant

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not sure enjoy is the right word but cheers. just want to get round it without having to walk at any point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts