Runners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:

Hi

I am new to running and now been running for 3 weeks. Can anyone can give me any useful tips on how to breath properly while running, what I should be eating (trying to lose about 8lbs - a stone in weight) and how long after eating should I leave it before I go out running. I seem to be really struggling with breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth. At the moment I am managing to run for just over 3 miles 4 nights a week (not very fast I might add, doing this in about 35mins give or take a few minutes either way). My breathing is ok for the first 15 mins and then its like I am doing a Lamar’s class (quick short breaths) Any tips would be really useful.

Thanks

Shirley

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why do you feel you need to just breathe in through your nose? I'm not an expert, but I run 5-8 mi a few times a week. Just breathe normally - unless you are out of breath and then just walk until you can breathe easily again. For beginner runners, I've been told, it isn't important how fast you go, you'll burn the greatest percent fat and build a solid fitness base if you mix walking and running. Regulate the mix by when you can't keep up a conversation with a fellow runner (or sing along to your ipod), then walk for a bit. The worst thing you can do is push yourself too hard and get hurt or get frustrated and quit!!!

Hang in there! If you're running for 35 minutes 4 nights a week you really should feel proud of yourself and will see your improvement!

Regards, Drusy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts