Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers! Well its my first race so I'm hoping to complete it in under 2 hours, but I have never run this far befoe so we shall see!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran 9 - 10 miles two weeks ago this Saturday and it took me about an hour and a half. I was pretty knackered by the end of it though! I ran 6 miles the Saturday just gone in about 50 minutes and I felt ok after that, so I'm hoping I'll be ok with the half marathon?

·
Registered
158 Posts
What a race to start with! Good luck.

I'm sure you'll be fine if you've ran 10 miles. I find it's much easier to run in a race than on your own. I bet you'll be surprised by your time.

Don't forget to let us know how it went.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
You should be able to break 2 hours if you take it easy at the start and don't rush off! Make sure you take on plenty of fluid even if it is cool or wet on the day.
Try to find a group of runners you can run comfortably with. This will make the race a lot easier and the miles will fly by.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
As it's your first race, and a long one at that, can I suggest that you vaseline your inner thighs and nipples to prevent chaffing. If you don't you'll possibly regret it! Ouch! I'm sure others would agree and may have other pearls of wisdom to impart.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that's definitely not some thing I would have thought of, so thanks for that!

I've been reading a few other threads and I'm slightly concerned that I don't have any proper running socks, just normal trainer socks. I've left it to late to get to a shop now so I was thinking of just wearing two pears of trainer socks to try and help prevent blisters?

I did buy some proper fitted running trainers and a couple of short sleeve running tops when I started training 6 weeks ago, so I think its just socks I will be with out. I'm hoping a t-shirt will be fine for Sunday as well.

Cheers,

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
You might find that there is a stall on site selling sports gear. Normally it wouldn't be wise to wear something you've not worn before at a race but I don't think this applies to socks.

Take something to eat/drink with you to put in your bag you leave at the baggage point..assuming there is one. A flask of something hot as well as a cold drink, some salted peanuts/crisps ( to help replace salt loss) and something sweet is what I take. Each to their own of course.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Vaseline underneath is a must on a long run.

If you`ve been ok so far with your normal socks I wouldn`t worry.Buy a pair to train in after the race and see how they feel.

My preference is for the double layer anti-blister socks.

Good luck Chris.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Decent sock do cost a few quid but are worth the investment....I agree with Dave regarding double layers.

Expecting good things Chris!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your advice guys!

I finished in 355th place in a time of 01:43:13, so I'm really pleased with that time. I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would so I definitely want to keep up the running now, and hopefully keep improving on my time. I will definitely need a couple of days to let my legs recover though, even the lower part of my arse appears to be sore!

Anyway, thanks again for the advice!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Nice one Chris.

With a time like that I don`t think you need my advice.

It will be me asking you in future.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts