Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, Im Dan.

Im 22 years old, and I live in Swadlincote, a small town near the brewing capital of the World, Burton-on-Trent. I am unfortunately what most people call obese. I never used to be so big, and have tried and tried to lose weight, but never had the motivation to do it.

Unfortunately my soon to be wife, is in the same boat, and like me, is getting upset with the way we look, and want to lose as much as possible before our wedding in under 3 months.

I used to row, when I was a kid, and I am about to pick it up once again, hopefully to strengthen my body, over the up-coming weeks. However, the one thing I was never able to do, was run. I would love to run, I have friends who run all the time, and they ask me jokingly if I wanna go with them, a quick "V" and they bugger off as they do.

I am looking forward to hopefully chatting away and enjoying my time I spend on here. I will no doubt ask loads of questions about how to start and the best ways etc, to increase stamina and speed.....

Thanks for reading,

Daniel

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your up and coming wedding....

and to your losing as much as you can before your wedding comment, i understand how you feel, i used to be 4 stone heavier than i am now and its took determination and hard work to keep it off and lose it.

Daniel just promise you wont drastic diet as these diets dont work for long term and they will leave you gorging evetually and you will be back to sqaure one, healthy eating is best complete with exercise. I have only been running for 10 months and it was the best thing i ever did.

When my wedding was near i naturally lost weight due to stress and worry and i was eating more than i usually did, i think others will say the same :p

We all have to start somewhere and being big or skinny we all feel the same when we first start running............ (feeling like your lungs and legs have left your body)

Running is not about lean tall looking machines, runners come in all different shapes and sizes i have had many of people pass me on races whom are much bigger than me and older and some with four legs (dogs) :p its about stamina and not about the size you are...

There are lots of people on here that are doing walk/jog routines and i am sure they will give you good advice.

I wish you both the best of luck for your up and coming wedding i am sure it will be a great day.

Welcome again

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hello and welcome

It is best to lose weight slowly and just take it in slow chunks to start with, like aim to lose half a stone and then take it from there. Running should help to burn the fat too.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome Clampy.

I think Leece and dimple have covered most things.

Remember to take things slowly,sometimes you just have to be patient.

You will have setbacks from time to time like most of us.Don`t let these put you off striving for your goal.

With sometimes, and advice from some of the knowledgable runners on this forum you will get where you want to be.

Some of us wont be able to help to much sometimes the technicalities of running,but what we can do is offer support when thing may not be going as well as you want.

Stick with it,and good luck to you both.

All the best

Dave.

And don`t forget,Ask whatever Questions you like........

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dan!

What to look out for is getting to obsesed about your weight, I am meant to be obese according to the BMI websites. I would say I am over weight :) Obese is a horrible word!

I have lost weight since I started running which is great but I only weigh myself once every couple of weeks as some day you will put a pound or two on and other days you will be down a pound or two...

Its good that your both getting in to running, you can encouarge each other when one of you may not feel like going out.

The run / walk programmes are good and as it has already been said, there are a number of people who are either doing this or have done it.
I did, I used to run for 5 mins then walk for 3 mins and then build up from there, now I take part in 1/2 marathons and thats all since January! It's amazing how quickly you will start improving the amount of time you can run without stopping.

Ignore any comments that people might say, remember, your doing this for yourself and your good lady. Don't over do it when you first start to run.

Depending on how over weight you are, it may be an idea to speak to a doctor before taking on too much, they may give you some advice on how much excercise or what sort of exercise you should start with.

The most important bit is to stick with it, it does get easier and enjoy yourself. :)

O.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Its very much appreciated. I have an Uncle who is a doctor, and he says that I should watch my running, as too much pressure, can probably cause me to have some knee issues, as its a high impact sport. I will do what you said Owain, Ill run for 5mins and walk probably for 2-3mins, for around an hour. Ill see how things fair, and Ill let you all know.

Thanks for reading,

Daniel

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
I wouldnt go for an hour for your first time out, look at 15mins or 30mins. I started off with 15mins but everyone is different.

An hour running is hard work and if your new to running your muscles will be pretty sore the next couple of days.

I was 18 stone when I started running in January, Im now down to 17 stone give or take a pound here and there.
The first time I went out I did the run /walk thing and after 15mins I was shattered!

O.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Owain said:
I wouldnt go for an hour for your first time out, look at 15mins or 30mins. I started off with 15mins but everyone is different.

An hour running is hard work and if your new to running your muscles will be pretty sore the next couple of days.

I was 18 stone when I started running in January, Im now down to 17 stone give or take a pound here and there.
The first time I went out I did the run /walk thing and after 15mins I was shattered!

O.
An hour shouldnt be too taxing. 5 mins running at a comfortable pace, with 3 mins walk to stretch off any aches and keep the lactics down. I was a rower for 6 years until I had to stop due to a back issue (which is 100% now) I am endurance built. I used to row, 20k everyday at one point, and then do a run. Running hasnt been a strong point for me. An hour isnt too long, we just going to go out for an hour, and do what we can, the extra 20 mins at the end, even if its walking = more calories burned and keeps that heart pumping for longer, increasing fat metabolisms etc etc.

Ill let you know how I feel after. 15 mins, is too short, I wouldnt even break a sweat.

EDIT: I have changed my mind. Even though I can do the hour, I am certain my girlfriend wont make it. So we will only do around our local block, which is 30 mins, which includes a mild-moderate hill. We will run/walk and get used to it beforehand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will indeedy m8y.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Clampy

Welcome to the forum.

Just wanted to say hi and good luck with your running and with the weight loss.

I echo everything that has been said so far, stick with it you will become hooked.

TT :d

1 - 12 of 12 Posts