Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone..Just joined and having trouble trying to post this so I hope it works. Its quite possible I am the worst runner ever to grace this site however I want to get better and hope some of you can help. I am currently training with a friend who is also new to running and we did our quickest mile and a half today... 13 minutes 30 seconds!! DONT LAUGH but this nearly killed me. I dont see how i can ever do this any quicker? I sound like i have the lung capacity of an 80 year old smoker ( I dont smoke). I cant regulate my breathing? Can anyone please give me some tips?
Regards
Nicky

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry to disappoint you but you are probably not the worst runner to grace this site by a long way.

Don't worry about speed to start with just get used to running regularly. (your time was quite repectable) Your body will need time to adapt to the new demands you are placing on it. If you run three times a week and gradually increase how far you go you will get fitter. If you need to walk for some of the time that is okay.

Have fun and be patient.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'll go along with those comments, you pace works out at 9 mins a mile.... I wish I'd started with a pace near that!! It's not that much quicker even now, a year later

Well done, keep it up!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Hi Angeleyes..... welcomeW.gif

For starters you are not a bad runner,as Pedestrian quite rightly says there are no bad runners.

There are just people who run and people who don`t............. lazy2.gif

It may be an Idea to just slow down to a pace that allows you to have a chat to your friend while you are running. (10 minute mile pace is fine.).

You will find that you can increase the lenght and time of your runs this way,and hopefully not feel as though you are about to keel over at the end of the session.

Keep up the good work and keep us informed of your progress................... thumbs_up.gif

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Slow down to start with and over time gradually increase the distance. Like others have said, your current speed is quite quick and don't worry about talking the odd walk break along the way.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! As has been said, your pace isn't slow at all, and you wouldn't go far wrong by slowing down so that you can make some of your runs a bit longer.

Also you'd be surpised how much your pace will improve with regular exercise... when I started I was 10min/mi and couldn't manage a 2mile circuit without stopping, so far (3 years on) I could probably manage the same 2 mile circuit in around 11mins! :d

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey everyone

Just finished work and it was a nice suprise to see so many of your replies!. Its my night off tonight and I am back to it tomorrow and will take your advice and maybe slow my pace down for a longer run. There is a nice park near to me which is 2.3 miles so I will try and get myself around that. Can anyone tell me if i need to alter my training to pass the bleep test? I have passed it but only just! I want to breeze through it instead of collapsing at the end! I want to aim for level 10.2 in about 6 weeks? Is this possible?
Many thanks for all your advice... I will be sure to keep you all posted!
If i go quiet its highly probable I am still trying to drag myself around that park!!

Regards

Nicky
:d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
a few Q's and comments...

What qualifies as a 'pass' of the bleep test?
Which bleep test are you referring to? I *think* there's two, depending on where in the world you are. One has 20 levels and the other only 15/16, I haven't got a clue which is which though!

My only other thought it was is your primary goal from running? I mean are you running purely to improve your time for the bleep test? or for general fitness? The reason I ask is because the bleep test is basically a test for your VO2 MAX, and to improve your VO2 max you should be working on very intense cardio sessions rather than trying to build endurance... perhaps google "improving your VO2 MAX".

If you're runing for general fitness and simply hoping your bleep test score will improve as a result - it will! but not as fast as if you were to concentrate on cardio sessions.

Hope that helps a little :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all. I am a newbie too and Angeleyes training pal.
As she has said I am quite new to running, and to be honest have always hated it ever since I was young. However we both have goals now.
Mine is to get a new job, and the task being a mile and a half run in 11 mins 50 secs. My very first mile and a half without stopping took me over 16 minutes and I'm now completing it in 13 and a half minutes. This has taken me about 6 weeks or so.
I have five weeks before the fitness test so any tips for angeleyes and myself would be appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi there

I have to get to 9.4 on a 15 metre test, I am not sure if that helps you know which one it is? I think there are only 15 or 16 levels. The fittest men I work with get to around level 12or 13. I despise the fitness test but its a necessary evil unfortunately for my job.:(
My goal is to improve my fitness as I am really starting to enjoy running and if I want to be healthier and fitter, running is a big step in the right direction.
I will have a look at improving my" VO2 MAX" for that vile bleep test.
Cheers once again for your help....

Nicky:d

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jo Jo
Welcome my little buddy!! This forum is ACE!! Lots of help and advice from people who really know what they are talking about!
You have now shamed me into going for a run with LOLA dog! She passes on her thanks as she is feeling full of energy and wants to burn it off!!
Get your trainers ready for another beasting tomorrow...2.3 mile here we come!
Nicky x x x

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
angeleyes said:
Hey everyone

Just finished work and it was a nice suprise to see so many of your replies!. Its my night off tonight and I am back to it tomorrow and will take your advice and maybe slow my pace down for a longer run. There is a nice park near to me which is 2.3 miles so I will try and get myself around that. Can anyone tell me if i need to alter my training to pass the bleep test? I have passed it but only just! I want to breeze through it instead of collapsing at the end! I want to aim for level 10.2 in about 6 weeks? Is this possible?
Many thanks for all your advice... I will be sure to keep you all posted!
If i go quiet its highly probable I am still trying to drag myself around that park!!

Regards

Nicky
:d
Welcome to you both !

When the other posters are saying slow the pace down a bit , i think what they mean is as your new to running keep the distance the same for a week or two but run it at a slower pace .

A gradual build up is the best way to start it also acclimatises your bodies to running
therefore minimising the risk of injury through over doing it .

It's a tried and tested method and there are loads of threads on here about training and hopefully one you'll never have to look at injury.

It's great that your out there doing it

GOOD LIUCK

TAKE IT EASY

CHERITON;) ;)

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
UPDATE;- Just read jo jo's post she's been running six weeks is it the same for you angeleyes?

If it is you should be able to comfortably run 2-3 miles at a slower pace

Trust a man not to read all the instructions as it were !:embarrassed:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey there

Unfortunately I have been running for about a year and a bit but only on a running machine for ten to fifteen minutes...Never outside. This has clearly done me no good what so ever as I have obviously not been pushing myself hard enough. Running outside is so much harder but at the same time much more enjoyable! I just wish I could see more of an improvement. Sometimes as as early as half a mile i want to stop i am so out of breath? I always manage to grit through but as i said in one of my earlier messages i just cant seem to get my breathing right? Perhaps a new or extra set of lungs may help!!

Thanks for your advice

Nicky

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
angeleyes said:
Sometimes as as early as half a mile i want to stop i am so out of breath? I always manage to grit through but as i said in one of my earlier messages i just cant seem to get my breathing right? Perhaps a new or extra set of lungs may help!!

Thanks for your advice

Nicky
The first half mile/mile and a half is the same for any runner (10+ minutes), no matter how experienced they are. That's roughly how long it takes for your lungs to "catch up" to your legs (ie... how long it takes for your system to restore sufficient oxygen to your muscles after you start running).
Of course, that's a simple way of describing what's going on. :embarrassed: ... But basically, that's what happens every time we set off.;)
Remember, no such thing as a bad runner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha ha maybe there is no such thing as a bad runner...........perhaps I can fall into the "Not so good but not so bad" category??:d I cant wait for my lungs to catch up with my legs!!

Ha ha ;)

Nicky

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well thanks to everyone for the advice, and after reading your replies maybe we aren't as bad as we thought.
My problem now is not to over do it. I don't feel I have the time to concentrate on distance as my focus is on completing the mile and a half as fast as possible so I am training as much as possible.
Angeleyes and myself go running together at least twice a week, completing a 2.3 mile jog and on the other occassion a 1.5 run which we time.
We are getting better there is no doubt about it though and like angeleyes says we are enjoying it now!!!!!!!! ( I thought I would never hear myself say that) :d

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Jo Jo said:
Well thanks to everyone for the advice, and after reading your replies maybe we aren't as bad as we thought.
My problem now is not to over do it. I don't feel I have the time to concentrate on distance as my focus is on completing the mile and a half as fast as possible so I am training as much as possible.
Angeleyes and myself go running together at least twice a week, completing a 2.3 mile jog and on the other occassion a 1.5 run which we time.
We are getting better there is no doubt about it though and like angeleyes says we are enjoying it now!!!!!!!! ( I thought I would never hear myself say that) :d
But are you enjoying it enough to keep at it after you've done (and succeeded in) the mile and a half test?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts