Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just joined and after some advice please.

I'm 30, 308 pounds roughly (just under 22 stone) and have really let my body go the last few years.

I started a diet 2 weeks ago and was 317 pounds so is coming off.

I want to start running eventually but know i am too heavy just yet.

Does anybody have any advice on how much walking to do to start, how long for, how far and how many days?

Really grateful for anyone who can help.

Regards

Matt ;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hi immortal,

I started training (I deliberately avoid the word running!) just under a year ago initially to loose weight. I lost a lot to start with on the treadmill in the gym. My initial goal per session was 10 minutes constant exercise (be it walking or jogging). This soon changed to counting the calories I'd burn. The treadmill I use works out the calories burned and after a few weeks I had set myself a target each day to burn off the calories I am likely to eat for dinner that night.

I have found that to be an excellent way of losing weight as you can have a big meal provided that you do the exercise. Don’t do the exercise and you have to go light on the food. By following that rule you soon realise that exercise is the key to weight loss.

I also found out using the calorie calculator on the tread mill that you burn them off more quickly by walking up hill (as steep as possible) than jogging on the flat. This will save the knees while you are building up the legs muscles (and losing the weight!)

I started counting the food calories per meal but I didn't count any fruit I ate between meals (I have since become addicted to oranges!) I also don't count alcohol :d, but then again, although a regular drinker, it is not in great quantities (I stick to the recommended units...... mostly :embarrassed: )

After a few months I was challenged to enter a half marathon which gave me a target for my running and fitness level as well helping me to loose weight. It also got me out of the gym and onto the road.

Hope you find this useful.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
welcome to the forum !

it's clear from your profile the reason you want to lose weight and get fit .

So motivation shouldn't be a problem now you've decided to take the bull by the horns as it were.

You're absolutely doing the right thing by walking before you can run .

I don't know when you last exercised so it's a little difficult to say about distances ,but assuming you have'nt done any then you need too start of with a short distance of say a mile

Try to walk briskly so that you are breathing a bit harder ,if you have any unusual pains or any tightening in your chest naturally stop.If all goes well in the first couple of weeks then gradually increase the distance you walk by no more than 10%

After about three weeks to a month all is going well it might be time to start to think abouty preparing yourself for a gentle SHORT! run do what you feel comfortable with but about a mile should be ok Don't go mad though gradual build up is the key to meaningful,pain free and injury free running.

you'll find a lot of support on the forum

take it easy ,let us know how you are progressing because it's people like your goodself that can be the inspiration to others!!!

good luck;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Just been for a 1.5 mile walk that consisted of about a quarter of a mile downbank , another quarter of a mile level and a mile of upbank! , im shattered , lol

Feel brilliant for it though and more determined than ever to stick to it and gradually get to run.

I didnt do any exercise at all for years before so feeling it now but i think im going to do the following for a bit....

Every night go for the same 1.5 mile walk for a month to get myself into it then increase it to 2 miles. Then when im comfortable with that i might go back to the 1.5 miles but try and jog most of it , and then go to the 2 miles again and try to jog most of that.

Does that sound sensible?

Matt;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Sounds very sensible. The fact that you felt brilliant after proves you've got the right frame of mind, which to my mind is the hardest thing to overcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Yeah , feel great. Was a big shock when i hit 30 and realised im nearly 23 stone in weight , have 2 wonderful kids and might not be here to celebrate their 30th!!

Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts