Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fresh from my first EVER run!! (well walk/run.....well...walk, walk, small amount of running!) Really looking forward to talking to you all soon. I live in the Cotswolds, have a family of three kids and a hubbie and am part way through a teaching course. I suddenly feel the need to kick start my fitness and have set myself a 5k target. Not sure how long it'll take me but I've started. Am really glad to find online support and wish everyone lots of good luck and energy!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
You are more than welcome poppyseed!

You'll find all sorts of abilities post here so feel free to post and ask as many questions as you like!

Have you got a 5k race in mind?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
poppyseed said:
Suddenly feel the need to kick start my fitness and have set myself a 5k target. Not sure how long it'll take me but I've started. !
Welcome! I felt the need to kick start my fitness way back in 1986 when I was 54 years old, unfit and overweight. Taking up running was the best decision I ever made and has given me the happiest years of my life. Take it easy for starters, set yourself reasonable goals, enter a race as an incentive to keep running. Join a club or find a running companion so you don't get demoralised doing everything on your own. Enjoy the sun and the summer breezes on your body as you run the rolling countryside doing something that's entirely natural!
Cheers!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Welcome Poppyseed!

Pleased to hear you have started, like RF said, take it easy at the beginning and most of all enjoy. Make sure that you have a decent pair of running shoes from the start.

Makes no difference how long it takes you to get to a 5K race, just make sure you do.

All the best

G.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your 5k race, you will love it :d

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
8-12 weeks - are you following a training program I found this really useful as I could see myself getting better and better as ch week went by.

Now...might have to call myself Slighty Faster Edwina......except its a bit of a mouthful.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hello poppyseed :)

Welcome

Where are you in the Cotswolds?... I'm on the Bristol/South Glos border and my running club is in Chipping Sodbury.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow great to hear from you all! To those of you who asked, I don't have a particular 5k in mind, it just feels like a good distance to go for. This morning I mapped myself a 3 mile route (I know I'm mixing my metric and imperials!) which I walked and ran half and then walked the majority back. It felt really good to get out and I can feel my thigh muscles now! Hi Trinity, I'm a little further north than you, my nearest town is Stow on the Wold, nearest club is Bourton on the Water; they are fearsomely good so may put off joining until I can run and join in their running conversations!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
ok... I know roughly where you are, I've done a race or two up that way.

As for a 5k race... if you can, try and find a rather large one because sometimes the smaller ones are full of fast club runners and that sort of competition isn't always good for your first race. You might be as well to find a 10k, where you generally get more of a mixture of abilities and experience.

I know 10k probably seems like a long way right now, but I take it from your posting that you're in no particular hurry, and anyway I'm suspect you'll be surprised at how quickly you progress with regular training. I think you may enjoy both the race and the achievement more if you target a 10k for your first race.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Ignore them all Poppyseed.

They will drag you into the underworld that is running.

I first posted on this forum less than 9 months ago.I had never run a race in my adult life.

This week I am supposed to be running 3 in 6 days......:eek:

Don`t say you were never warned

All the best and good luck.

Dave.........................................................:d

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hee Hee! runners are obviously all part of an evil underworld conspiracy organised to get innocent individuals addicted to endorphines and hell bent on achieving the impossible;)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hi Poppyseed,

Welcome to the forum, take it slowly, if you get out regularly you will suprise yourself. You will get lots of good advice on here, lots of experience, and a few nutters to lighten the atmosphere!

End of October, Candleford Ladies Canter at Fringford, near Biscester, 10k, very friendly, easy route, all abilities, highly recomend it. Ladies only no sweaty men! Definately enter a race, gives your training a purpose, don't be frightened, on the day nobody cares how anyone does, just run!

Good luck, don't do too much too soon, but most of all make sure you enjoy it.

Bagpuss (Lyn)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Lyn! It's great to make contact with such a fab bunch of encouraging people:d you wouldn't believe what a difference it makes. I'm definitely considering a 10k race now; Bicester isn't too far at all, it sounds good!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Bagpuss said:
Hi Poppyseed,

Ladies only no sweaty men!

Bagpuss (Lyn)
Watch Lyn very carefully Poppyseed......................:d

1 - 16 of 16 Posts