Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just to say a big hello to everyone I'm a new member - and also I have a query.
I usually run approx 3 miles and drink water as I run. I thought I would follow online recipes for isotonic drinks which was 70g of sugar witha pinch of salt mixed into a litre of warm water with no sugar fruit juice. I went on my run today and did much better but I can't help thinking that I was practically drinking liquid sugar and hence probably burning off sugar and nothing else - also not sure how much of a placebo effect having an 'energy drink' is and whether your just really running faster because you brain is assuming your getting more energy.
Any thoughts?

Cheers
Adrian.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
adriansmith said:
isotonic drinks which was 70g of sugar witha pinch of salt mixed into a litre of warm water with no sugar fruit juice
sounds absolutely disgusting... !

i don't think it's a good idea...

it takes such a long time to absorb the glucose so drinking it on the run won't have any benefit for the run...

the only time that you would need to replace sugars is in a marathon as you 'hit the wall' when you run out of glucose stores (glycogen) and have to burn fats...

but 'hitting the wall' happens after about 20 miles...

so it shouldn't be necessary to drink glucose potions like your one for anything less than a marathon...

for 3 miles you probably be better sticking with drinking water and drinking it when you've finished...

hope that helps !

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
It takes about 1/2 an hour, apparently, between drinking your drink and getting the energy. They're not "just" good for marathon distance plus, they also perk you up a lot on shorter distances, half marathons etc. Even if your body still has glycogen left, a new source of quick energy's very welcome.

For 3 miles, I don't think it will help much, but if you find it does, then go for it :) It will be more use if you go for longer distances.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone, I stuck to water today and I think i'm getting ready to increase distance soon - but I will probably stick to water for now ;)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
You could try hypotonic drinks instead of isotonic drinks...but again for 3m you shouldn't need either on the run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts