Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody:
When I completed the registration process, I was invited to send the "I am here" message to the other members and I said - why not!
I am from Toronto Canada.
I did 17 marathons, with the best of 3:05 and change, but lately I was too busy to go out on races.
Because of a lack of time to run I had to drastically modify my workouts and to switch almost exclusively to speedwork.
It allows me to pack lots of intensity into a short period of time and I am very happy about it.

So I am definitely into my speedwork for life!
Good running!
Icepack

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Icepack - welcome to the forum. I see you've put forward some posts detailing mineral supplements which you are advising to us runners? What is your background that you are so knowledgeable in this area? I'm looking forward to finding out more.

I'd love to be a speed runner too, but I think I'm fated to be a very slow long distance runner.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Karen said:
I'd love to be a speed runner too, but I think I'm fated to be a very slow long distance runner.
If you want to be quicker there's only one thing for it Karen.....and it applies to everthing/everyone.
Practise, practise, practise.....in our case as RF forumites...run, run run.:d
As Gary Player said, the more I practise the luckier I get!

Just make sure you improve gradually and don't try to speed up overnight....you'll do it..I've every faith in you!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Icepack,

Welcome to the forum!

I've already taken note of your advice. You certainly seem to have a lot of experience behind you.

I'm the same as you Karen, I feel like I run really slow. I don't have much time until my half marathon and I am a little worried. I just keep thinking that at least I am actually able to run. Some people can't even walk up stairs without getting out of breath!

I am looking forward to my first marathon though and just think that you can do anything if you put your mind to it!! :d

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Kylie,
Just keep with the thought that when you've done that half marathon on 25 March - and you've run at your own pace - and you come out at the other end, then the sense of achievement is overwhelming. You don't have to compete with the other runners. You're just running for yourself.

I ran my first 10K race yesterday, and I was slow, although not quite the slowest, and I felt great afterwards. And oh-so-tired.

As for mineral supplements: like HotFoot and Runningfox, I'm a little sceptical. And so I would like to know if IcePack is trained as a sports nutritionist or has an equivalent biological training?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well done with your first 10K! It sounds like it went quite well for you. I'm pleased you said you felt great afterwards too! It doesn't matter that you're slow. Although I can run quite far, I'm really slow. Although I must admit, I am a little worried about being the last one to complete the half marathon!

Hotfoot suggested going to see my gp if I'm worried. I need to go next weel anyway so I'll have a chat about it then.

Well done again on your 10K!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Well done on Sunday Karen.

It was only a few months ago I ran my first race,so I still remember how great I felt at the finish line.

I bet there was still Quite a few finishing behind you,and I bet the next one can`t come quick enough.

All the best. Dave.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Well done Karen, great feeling finishing especially after all the hard work you will have put in :d :d

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks everyone. It does feel great, and the medal is very shiny. I can't believe how physically shattered I was for the rest of the day though. Despite all my training, I still think I'm only semi-fit. Some people seem to take to being fit so very easily. For me it seems to be something that I have to work really very hard at to be evenly reasonably fit.

But I'm pleased nevertheless, and, yes, I do plan to enter more races.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello everybody:
Thank you all for the replies to my first thread!
I apologize I was unable to get back to this forum earlier, last week was very busy, just like all of them are.
Regarding the question to my background in nutrition, I did not have any formal training, but I did lots of readings, in a hospital library while in nursing school, as well as Internet.
These things were not taught in our nursing school, we were mostly staging theatrical skits and making fake "community projects" about alcoholics.
The only thing that came out of that was a year in litigation with that college and a website (badnursing).
I have a website about mineral supplements (whycrave), however, it is mostly for those who want to quit smoking or to get rid of substance addiction.

With regards to speedwork, I think this is the only way to run for a busy person.
I am proud to say that in I did a 3:05 marathon with only 5 hours per week training.
It was nothing but speedwork.
I like distance, but it is very time-consuming. There is absolutely no way I would be able to fit this kind of a training schedule into my other committments.

And I am surprised that some runners are quite rigid about their training patterns. They go several miles at 8:30 pace almost every day and they call it endurance training.
Well, 8:30 is not running, it is fast walking. And also a good way to get overuse injuries.

How much time would you have to sink into this kind of a training in order to shoot at least at 3:20?
I do a dozen 200m repeats at 40s ea in under an hour and I still have plenty of time left in my weekend or weekday evening.
Or I do just 2-3-4 half-milers in 20 min at 2:30-2:40 ea with 10 min in between and I save myself plenty of time.
So it pays to be flexible!

icepack
(I may not be able to come back for another wk, till then - all the best and good running!)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Icepack said:
Well, 8:30 is not running, it is fast walking.
sorry Icepack but i have to disagree with you. I am a new slow runner going alot slower than 8:30 but definately running and proud if my achievements. :(

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Here here firstimer - my pace is around 11 mins per mile and I don't care if that doesn't fit inot Icepack definition I enjoy it!!!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Don't forget the gale force winds and I expect Dotty will be as lively as ever telling me to keep my shoulders down.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Steady Edwina did you make the Brooks run? I did and got soaked but knocked 10mins off last weeks time 6 miles in 1hour 15 mins. I felt slow this time though as the turn out was alot less, but once i saw my time i could see why it felt so hard.
Hope if you went yours went well too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well done firstimer! I'm afraid I missed this morning's run (thought I would due to a heavy Saturday night I couldn't get out of!!!). Weather was shocking this morning - but didn't you do well? Brilliant! 12 weeks today to the Plymouth Half Marathon, I'm waking in the middle of the night stressing about it!! Hope you're well. Hope to catch up in the week!

·
Registered
123 Posts
littlemissporter - your absence was noticed!! Saw your friend who was with are group due to the dodgy knee. The weather was awful but didn't feel too bad until i sat in the car with a very wet bum !! yuk.
Don't worry too much, loads of time!! and i know with pure determination you will get there.
The running club was great. If you can make it come along Tuesday 7pm for 7.30 start. We went out for about 40min run and then back for a chat,coffee and biscuits .

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
Here here firstimer - my pace is around 11 mins per mile and I don't care if that doesn't fit inot Icepack definition I enjoy it!!!
11 minute miles for me as well, devestated to find I'm only walking :mad: :p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts