Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just registered so thought I would introduce myself.

My name is Richard and I live in Aberdeen, I am 32 years young!

I have entered the Loch Ness Marathon which takes place in October. I have always wanted to Run a Marathon and I thought If I don't do it now I probably never will. Also, my wife said that I will never manage to run a Marathon in October as it's too soon. So I'm out to prove her wrong.:p

I have been training for about five weeks now four days a week and have a 10k race in Aberdeen on Sunday. I have previously ran this race in 2005 and finished in 49mins 31secs. So I have a target to aim for. My longest run so far has only been 8 miles which took me an hour and 10 mins but I'm looking forward to racking up some nice long runs in the future.:eek:

Thanks for taking the time to read my first post.

Richard

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Welcome Richard :)

...and thanks kitty, we are a friendly bunch :rolleyes:

Richard...what date is the marathon?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome folks!

Hi Trinity the Marathons on the 5th of October. It's the same day as the Great North Run.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hi and welcome. i'm 32 also and have entered my first marathon in november and have just started training, be interesting to see how you do!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
ok... well that means you have 19 weeks.

You'll need to find a good marathon schedule...preferably an 18 week one to give you the best shot. Google 'marathon schedules' and find one that you think you will be able to fit around your lifestyle.

It also means that you start your marathon training proper in a week from now.

Personally I don't think that's long enough prep for your first marathon, but so long as you don't aim too high with a finish time you should be ok. Don't be a hero with the training as the mileage starts to mount up in mid schedule...if your body starts to feel the strain then take a few days off...if you don't you're likely to get injured.

You'll need to book into one or two half marathons too, that fit in with the schedule.

Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice Trinty.

Good luck in your quest to run a Marathon aswell Gav.

I'm intending to do a Half Marathon on the 5th of July so at the moment i'm following a Half Marathon program. After the Half I'm going to follow Hal Higdon's Noice Shedule but jumping in at week six which gives me another twelve weeks of training including a taper. The crossover into the Marathon training appears to look fine.

I've been taking it fairly easy and my long run at the weekend is gradually increasing. I ran 8 miles last Sunday and was surprised at how well I felt at the end. (I resisted the urge to go further.) I've been participating in other sports for the past three years so I think my base level of fitness isn't too bad.

As long as I stay fit and healthy I'm sure I'll make it. All I want to do is run the whole distance and whatever time I get I'll be happy with.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Richard said:
All I want to do is run the whole distance and whatever time I get I'll be happy with.
That's a good target for your first one :)

Is that the Mansfielf half you're doing in July?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It will probably be my last aswell!

No it's not Mansfield. I'm up in Scotland. I'm hoping to do the Stonehaven Half. I beleive it's quite hilly so should be fun.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
From one Richard to another - welcome to the forum :)

Best of luck for the marathon - why not come along to the runnersforum social for a nice short warmup race? ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts