Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I've always been a keen runner but, like most young lads ended up passing my test and driving everywhre, drinking lots of beer and generally being lazy. In the past year though I have slowly but surely took up running again and after initially timing myself over a mile and a half which I have getting down to 10.24, not great but was enough to get me in the army, I am now wanting to run at a longer distance and take up cross country. Any tips on long distance running? Naturally I will need to gradually adapt to the distance but I am relatively fit and running 5 days a week at the gym

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Hi baz! Your scenario sounds all too familiar! I was about 9.5 stone when I turned 17, which soon changed when I passed my test and started partying rather a lot.

Sounds like you're fairly well prepped for hitting the longer distances and XC, my two quick pointers of advice would be to drop the pace down a little so your body will be able to go for longer and get used to the extra distances (your not going to be able to keep up your 1.5mile pace forever ;) ) and also, get your jacksy ouy the gym and onto roads/fields/forests :p Whilst running at the gym is great for helping you run all year round, it simply doesn't compare to the undulating terrain and the elements that the 'outside world' will throw at you. I'm not by any means suggesting you forget treadmill training altogether, but it would benefit your running to be outdoors more - personally I find it much easier and more enjoyable to run outdoors anyway!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
duracel baz :) hehe great nick.
Welcome!
Check the Beginners sub-Forum for loooots of tips on how to start (at different levels).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts