Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm Adrienne and I just completed the Tokyo Marathon yesterday! My time was a bit slow - 5hrs and 31 minutes - but at least I know what it feels like to run a full marathon! It's tough!!! I really want to better this time and I would like to know what type of training is best to increase my splits after 25 km. I was regulary doing 31 minute splits before 25km and then it drastically slowed to about 43mins and sometimes 49mins etc., Also what would be a realistic timeline to achieving a good balance.

I have read alot of the posts on here and it's so great to read everyones advice and thoughts - and the nutrition part helped me bulk up a few days before the marathon.

Also my legs hurt soooo much after 30 kms - any advice???
Thank you and look forward to hearing from you - need to keep motivation UP!!!!:d :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Adrienne

Welcome to RF and congratulations on running your first marathon.

I can't help with your question I'm afraid but there are plenty of seasoned marathoners on here that can.

good luck with your new goals, do you have anything else lined up for this year?

TT

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome to RF Adrienne welcomeW.gif

Well done on the Marathon. (I`ve never managed to do one.)

What kind of training did you do for this one.

If you followed a beginners schedule,then maybe you are ready to step up to the next level of training to improve your time.

As for the legs hurting.Who`s legs dont hurt after 30k.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Marathon Training

Hi Dave
Thanks for your reply! I tried to run 6 times a week - 2 of those days were up and down bridges in Tokyo for 20 km - the most I ran before the race was 25km - so i guess I should be runnin for longer to get my endurance up. I also did Billy bootcamp 3 times a week for strength - this is HOT in Tokyo now!!!! we are a bit behind! I am wondering if I should have incorporated speed training or something...any advice wold be good - my next goal for Feb 2009 is 4 hours 30 minutes - is this unrealistic??? Anyone????!!!:huh:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well that would be a large slice to knock off your time but you could do it ...you have 12 months after all.

You certainly need to run more than 25k as that is 17k less than the actual race distance. I think you should aim to do at least 35k twice before the race but gradually increase your weekly and long run distance...ie do 10% only more each week.

ie week 1 may be a total of 25 miles with the long run being 10 miles
so week 2 would be 27.5miles with the long run being 11 miles

I would also suggest reducing runs to 5 a week to allow time for your muscles to recover abd to prevent injury....and yes speed and/or hill work would help you.

Is there a running club you could join?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congrats on completing a marathon, hats off to you. I have no advice as I can't even dream of running that far, just wanted to say hi and well done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Steve - I know it is a tall order but it is also a mental race and am determined! I think joining a running club is a great idea...will commit to that and making a routine of upping the kilometers too. I will also enter more races to get experience.
Thanks Taurus for the welcome - am new and just getting used to this site! But love it! ANy more advice would be great

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
You are right Adrienne...the marathon is a mental race as well as a physical one. Running the race in chunks is a good idea..ie see it as a series of 5k runs with a 2k finish.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Steve said:
You are right Adrienne...the marathon is a mental race as well as a physical one. Running the race in chunks is a good idea..ie see it as a series of 5k runs with a 2k finish.
I ran my first marathon last year (Frankfurt) and agree with Steve. It is a mental race - 35km in, I thought I was mental for entering!!!! Breaking it into 5km chunks really helped me as well.

The other advie offered is also good, e.g. joining a club. I was already a member of one, but the advice I received from the other runners was excellent. Also, I had plenty of running partners for my long runs - I couldn't back out of them as I always had to meet someone and didn't want to let them down.

I also followed this plan from Runner's World - Link[/URL}

As its only three days a week, I made sure I went to the gym as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts